Protocol after a crash? :(

Reaction score
I've been so darn careful, but finally got a little over confident and flaked out and crashed into some tree branches.

If anything good comes from this - unit tumbled off a few branches on the way down, but enough to rip the camera off and the pop the battery out. I learned a lot from this experience and it has made me a better pilot, instantly!

I changed all the props, and qualified that the camera survived (it did!) The battery works, but has to be forced into place, so I am going to stop using it.

I went out for a careful flight yesterday and things seemed ok, although couple times I seemed to lose GPS signal briefly.

Questions...

1. Should I recalibrate compass
2. do I need to recalibrate the unit, I saw a video on how to rebalance the system after problem
3. Should I open up and insepct solder joints
4. What can you recommend

I would enjoy some feedback concerning protocol after crash so I can get back to feeling comfortable. Thank you.

1. Not required unless the compass somehow got magnetised. For your own comfort you can do a calibration, but do it in a good place.

2. Does no harm at all after a bit of a "hard landing" ;) to do an IMU calibration. Sometimes it will have had no effect, sometimes it can mess up the IMUs view of which way is level. Personally I have always gone straight home and done an IMU calibration after any "unexpectedly short flights" <ahem>.

3. Does no harm at all, is easy to do with the appropriate tools (link to a how to in my sig below) and will either show you a (potential) problem or reassure you that all's ok in there. Personally I open mine up quite regularly just to check everything's ok in there anyway (there's a sticky in the forum about suggested preventative maintenance).

4. Check whether the battery is tight because it has swollen from damage (in which case be extremely cautious) or whether you've actually knocked the opening to the battery compartment slightly. You might find taking the top of to have a look releases a bit of tension if the shell was slightly compressed. Also the battery compartment entrance is a separate piece, screwed in place. It might have been bent in a bit. Worth checking before throwing your battery out, perhaps.

Bottom line is do whatever you need to do to get comfortable again - either some of the above, or more, or whatever. The airframe is pretty robust, it's probably more about your confidence than any actual damage.

5. Stay away from trees for a while! :D

6. Don't worry. We've all done it, or are going to to do it. Rite of passage.

Thanks Pull_Up.

All good information. It's like that first dent on a new car... loses that new feeling and never feels the same.

thanks again....

If there's no physical damage on the outside, it's unlikely there's any damage on the inside. - so probably no need to open it up (which is a pain to do, even with the proper 2.0mm hex driver).
Probably best to just carefully inspect the props and motors and do an advanced calibration just to be sure.
and make sure it warms up proper and you get the single or double-green blink after it warms up

mshieldsjr said:
I've been so darn careful, but finally got a little over confident and flaked out and crashed into some tree branches.

Did the same thing today :( tumbled through the tree and fell to ground about 15ft
battery poped out, broke one prop
grabbed new prop pushed battery in and she flew for 18 more minutes like a champ

Thumbs up dji

Side note when hand cathing and someone honks at you don't look :oops:
Now minus 2 props and **** deep cuts across 4 of 5 fingers not a good day of flying :shock:

Thanks to everyone for your advice - quick update and a quick question.

I mentioned the battery wouldn't fit - so I tried to open it up and ended up just hacking it to death. Sure enough the shock from the fall crushed the top part of the battery and dislodged it from normal position. I have no idea how I could have opened this battery without causing damage and salvaging...

4 new props and advanced IMU calibration and ready for flight.

Was set to take off and I noticed that the unit started to lean to one side as it lifted off - this is a new issue after the calibration. I moved to a different location and got her up - but that leaning is an uneasy feeling.

Do I need to make a manual adjustment? thanks!

Nope - once in the air it was really stable....

I don't care if you comment on every post - but I do appreciate you commenting on mine. Sounds like you have a secret follower.

On my foe list, so it's blissful silence for me! However, if there's anything said on your thread you don't like just report the thread by clicking the ! button on the post...

Anyway, back to the point. If your hover is fine then that's reassuring. Just monitor it - if you were a little nervous it may just have been you being a bit too gentle on the throttle and it got squirrely in ground effect...

Good information Pull_Up
I appreciate all you do to help.
I've learned much from your post and youtube video's.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr