Protective Unit and screws - Can anyone answer this one

Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie here and have rigged up the P2 with gimbal and Hero 3.
On the install video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jRaCYtQtvM
You can see what they call a protective unit - essentially it adds some further security to the dampeners between the two plates.
I noticed in older unboxing videos these "protective units" didn't exist. Is it necessary to have these in? Is this a new version update?

The reason I ask is I had a little incident which snapped all four of them. I have one spare but for the life of me can not find the part on-line. Is this a nice to have or am I safe without these additional safety pieces.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated

Scott

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 18.45.51.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 18.45.51.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,050
  • protective unit 003.jpg
    protective unit 003.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,029
Not needed. If you really feel that you must have these, you can use little wire ties. Not too tight. Not too loose.

Two of mine have now been lost, broken off? Idk, vibrated loose? Maybe. Can we not get replacements? Maybe try the zip tie?

Chris0275 said:
Two of mine have now been lost, broken off? Idk, vibrated loose? Maybe. Can we not get replacements? Maybe try the zip tie?

No news on replacements. Funnily I took Ksc suggestion but only had zip ties!! See the photo. Bit windy at mo to check but seems to be perfect solution and to be honest as the others so readily snapped I am loathed to fit them again. This will ensure my GoPro tries not free fall out of the tree this time, however one is not looking to repeat that incident.

Attachments

• protective unit 002.jpg
    protective unit 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,028
Great solution!!! I had the same issue. Plus, I intentionally over tightened them and it came back with two gone. I honestly thought they were needed.

I too just got my P2 with the Zenmuse gimbal. It appears one of the security screws has already been lost after four short test flights.
I like the idea of using zip ties to replace the screws; how are you getting around clearance issues between the gimbal base and the P2 body towards the rear? Mine mounts flush to the body.
Thanks in advance.

picturemark said:
I too just got my P2 with the Zenmuse gimbal. It appears one of the security screws has already been lost after four short test flights.
I like the idea of using zip ties to replace the screws; how are you getting around clearance issues between the gimbal base and the P2 body towards the rear? Mine mounts flush to the body.
Thanks in advance.

Hi ground clearance is poor and would highly recommend you have your Phantom on a level piece of ground. I now use paths, benches. But have recently bought a tradecraft case from the US to house all my Phantom gear so can use this to take off from.
Long grass, muddy uneven surfaces are not helpful.
Often the gimbal without power will hold the go pro into a down position which brings attention to the lens on the ground. So I either leave the lens cap on or power up the RC TX then the P2 before i set it down. This gives the gimbal the chance to power up and right itself bringing the go pro into a horizontal plane or at least i can change it with the lever X1 on the RC before i put it down.

Also to everyone I have found the spares if you should need them from FPV - http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/access ... over-screw

BUT AT £30 YOU CAN KISS MY >>>>>! Zip Ties ALL the way!!!

Hope this helps

Stupid question but what is the actual purpose of these screws and how essential are they? I just lost my first one and relieved to read that they can be simply replaced with cable ties.

So it looks like I have the answer to the question I was looking for - either fishing line or ties :)

Not sure why I have had two situations when the gimbal came loose in flight and then as the Phantom was unbalanced, it came crashing down. Hopefully, this will alleviate this problem, although maybe I need to check that the rubber dampeners are secured or replace them, one of the two? Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik