Protective Case for Wider Landing Gear

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a purchase of the common wider/taller landing gear you can easily find on ebay.

My concern, is finding a case that they will fit into, without having to be removed. I've done the math (maybe I'm wrong, someone double check!), but the overall-height of the Phantom will go from ~19cm to ~23cm and the width (widest part of landing gear) is also ~23cm. From what I can see, depth doesn't change.

So, back to the point - has anyone seen a case that will support this new landing gear?

Better yet, has anyone seen landing gear that is wider and easy to remove? That could be another solution, as I could just remove the gear for storage and snap it back on for flight.

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks!

I bought one of the Pelican iM2750 cases with the customizable foam. The Phantom 2 fits great with the tall landing gear. I got mine on Ebay used for about $75 after shipping and then bought some new foam for $30.

It's too big to fit in the overhead on a plane but it fits nicely in the trunk.

Here is a link to the case on the Pelican website
http://www.pelican-case.com/im2750.html ... 7Aod-TkA_w

Attachments

• 20140513_185409_resized.jpg
    20140513_185409_resized.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 960
badbrad97 said:
I bought one of the Pelican iM2750 cases with the customizable foam. The Phantom 2 fits great with the tall landing gear. I got mine on Ebay used for about $75 after shipping and then bought some new foam for $30.

Exactly what I was thinking I'd have to consider! Thanks for the pics, helps w/ my confidence in getting such a case.

With the wider landing gear, have you noticed any issue w/ the compass calibration? I figured it shouldn't affect it negatively as it's still sitting vertically, but you never know.

I also plan on installing prop guards. I used to brush them off as 'training wheels' and unnecessary, until I saw a youtube video that showed what they can do if you bump a wall, tree, person, etc... They are excellent tools to help prevent a crash, and I was sold when I saw them in action (phantom literally bumped against the side of a building repeatedly, but never crashed - try doing that w/o the guards and see how things go).

Anyways, I think the case you are showing will not only support the landing gear and blades, but also the prop guards themselves (remaining installed). The only bummer is the inability to carry it onto a flight with me. I could always go with checked baggage, but that's just a bad result waiting to happen. Too many factors out of my control.

Thanks again!

Hoobler08 said:
badbrad97 said:

Exactly what I was thinking I'd have to consider! Thanks for the pics, helps w/ my confidence in getting such a case.

With the wider landing gear, have you noticed any issue w/ the compass calibration? I figured it shouldn't affect it negatively as it's still sitting vertically, but you never know.

I also plan on installing prop guards. I used to brush them off as 'training wheels' and unnecessary, until I saw a youtube video that showed what they can do if you bump a wall, tree, person, etc... They are excellent tools to help prevent a crash, and I was sold when I saw them in action (phantom literally bumped against the side of a building repeatedly, but never crashed - try doing that w/o the guards and see how things go).

Anyways, I think the case you are showing will not only support the landing gear and blades, but also the prop guards themselves (remaining installed). The only bummer is the inability to carry it onto a flight with me. I could always go with checked baggage, but that's just a bad result waiting to happen. Too many factors out of my control.

Thanks again!

I haven't seen any problems with compass calibration with the taller landing gear. The only issue I had was that the wires were not long enough to reach all the way to the bottom of the landing gear and I could only get 2 of the 4 screws in my compass because of the width of the landing gear higher up. It is still mounted firmly with 2. My Cambus would have been the same, but I mounted it inside. anyway.

With this case you can keep on 2 of the 4 prop guards. That was my original plan with the offset placement. But after a few flights, I really loved the way it flew without them so much I left them off. I really noticed the difference in higher winds.

I installed the taller landing gear recently, and am really digging the height difference for keeping the GoPro out of the grass and dirt. I don't think they are as sturdy as OEM, but so far so good. I ended up buying a Pelican 1560 with pick-and-pluck foam. I store mine with the props removed, and it fits great with the controller, spare batteries and my FPV goggles in their case.

I've had no issues with compass calibration, and like the previous post, it's only held on by 2 screws instead of the 4. The CAN bus is still on the leg, with no issues there either. Although I may move that inside, as I don't like the cable for the iOSD mini strung across the legs.

And one more thing... the reason I wanted to get taller landing gear, was because I had a crash and my GoPro got damaged pretty badly. With the taller landing here I feel much safer with my camera being higher off the ground. Another thing that I did was attach the protective lens to the GoPro, however the mounting strap that holds the camera onto the gimbal doesn't fit anymore, so I ended up removing that mount and replacing it with zip ties. The zip ties do a solid job of keeping the camera mounted and allows for the use of the protective lens. I keep a spare set of zip ties, some wire cutters, and some miscellaneous tools with me whenever I fly. So if I need to remove the camera it's a piece of cake - I just cut the ties and then replace them when needed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj