Props shadow on video!

Reaction score
Noticed on a couple of videos when I flew on bright sunny day. I heard easiest way to deal with it is a sun hood on top of the lens. Also I heard ND filter on the lens too. How are you guys dealing with it?

first of all... on a proper digital camera UV filter does NOTHING. Those were needed on the film days, or on a cheap digital camera/webcam. people use them on their dSLRs and mirrorless mostly to protect the lens. and its always a bad idea. Because you'll put an inferior quality glass, in front of your high quality lens, and ruin its quality and definition.
So no need to use it on your camera.
Wanna do a test? do you have an iphone? turn your iphone camera on. flip to the front camera. now point an IR remote (any tv remote) to the lens and press some buttons while you watch the image. You can see the IR light on the remote,right?! now try it with the good camera on the back of the iphone.
Nothing coming out of the remote right? That's because proper cameras already have UV filters.
ND filter do nothing about prop flicker either.
You can minimize it with a lens hood.

Or.. you can do nothing of the above and just DONT fly with the sun too high.
if you fly before 10AM or after 5PM you'll never have to worry about prop flicker.

first of all... on a proper digital camera UV filter does NOTHING. Those were needed on the film days, or on a cheap digital camera/webcam. people use them on their dSLRs and mirrorless mostly to protect the lens. and its always a bad idea. Because you'll put an inferior quality glass, in front of your high quality lens, and ruin its quality and definition.
So no need to use it on your camera.
Wanna do a test? do you have an iphone? turn your iphone camera on. flip to the front camera. now point an IR remote (any tv remote) to the lens and press some buttons while you watch the image. You can see the IR light on the remote,right?! now try it with the good camera on the back of the iphone.
Nothing coming out of the remote right? That's because proper cameras already have UV filters.
ND filter do nothing about prop flicker either.
You can minimize it with a lens hood.

Or.. you can do nothing of the above and just DONT fly with the sun too high.
if you fly before 10AM or after 5PM you'll never have to worry about prop flicker.

The only thing I would agree on is the use of a lens hood or shooting early or late afternoon.

You statements regarding the use of ND/UV filters is the worst case of tripe I've heard. You don't have allot of knowledge regarding the use of camera equipment.

Reactions: PTCX
The only thing I would agree on is the use of a lens hood or shooting early or late afternoon.

You statements regarding the use of ND/UV filters is the worst case of tripe I've heard. You don't have allot of knowledge regarding the use of camera equipment.
Hello Jason,
I'm professional photographer and videographer for 18 years.
I think I have a little bit of knowledge.
The iphone test you can do it yourself if you don't believe me.

But if you don't believe me on the rest, there are lots of experts online that say the same.
Please check this article from DPReview for example:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7333331953/should-you-use-a-uv-filter-on-your-lens

some excerts:
"The filter blocks UV light and removes the blue cast from images taken in very bright sunny conditions
This argument is almost completely spurious for modern digital cameras. With old film cameras it was often necessary to use a UV filter because film is extremely sensitive to UV light. However, digital sensors are generally rather insensitive to UV, so the problem doesn't arise to anything like the same extent. "

"The filter causes a loss of image quality
here is a particular circumstance in which the presence of a filter may cause noticeable ghost images. With some lenses, when used at full aperture (or nearly so), light reflected from the sensor back through the lens may be reflected from the rear surface of the filter back into the camera producing a ghost image on the opposite side of the optical axis."

Where is another article about UV filters on TESTED.com:
http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/2700-does-your-dslr-camera-lens-really-need-a-uv-filter/

About ND filter, all i said is it does nothing for prop flicker. You don't agree?

Anyhow, before doubting someones experience, no harm done in googling a bit first, right?

The reason I said ND filter will help prop shadow is because I watched this...lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hello Jason,
I'm professional photographer and videographer for 18 years.
I think I have a little bit of knowledge.
The iphone test you can do it yourself if you don't believe me.

But if you don't believe me on the rest, there are lots of experts online that say the same.
Please check this article from DPReview for example:

The use of ND filters on GoPro cameras is to block or lessen the effects of jello. While some filter are large enough they also block the prop strobing. If there is no problem with jello a good sun hood mounted on a clear lens protector will eliminate prop strobing I make my own.

As a videographer who sells stock footage to several agencies I know the value of ND filters, variable ND filters and CP filters and how to use them.
I don't need to explain to you how to use any of those filters and I do not need to go online to learn how to use them as i use them all on a daily bases.

As I stated the only point on which i agree with you is when is the best time of day for photography or video.

The use of ND filters on GoPro cameras is to block or lessen the effects of jello. While some filter are large enough they also block the prop strobing. If there is no problem with jello a good sun hood mounted on a clear lens protector will eliminate prop strobing I make my own.

As a videographer who sells stock footage to several agencies I know the value of ND filters, variable ND filters and CP filters and how to use them.
I don't need to explain to you how to use any of those filters and I do not need to go online to learn how to use them as i use them all on a daily bases.

As I stated the only point on which i agree with you is when is the best time of day for photography or video.
So you agree my comment about lens hood.
You even agree its not the ND filter that does the trick, its the adapter that server as lens wood when they are too big.
You agree about the time of day to fly...
Curious how now you just forgot UV filters this time. Was it after you googled it?

Last edited:
So you agree my comment about lens hood.
You even agree its not the ND filter that does the trick, its the adapter that server as lens wood when they are too big.
You agree about the time of day to fly...
Curious how now you just forgot UV filters this time. Was it after you googled it?

Your twisting my words around to suit your argument about the use of ND filters.This is what I said.
"The use of ND filters on GoPro cameras is to block or lessen the effects of jello. While some filter are large enough they also block the prop strobing. If there is no problem with jello a good sun hood mounted on a clear lens protector will eliminate prop strobing I make my own."

Your twisting my words around to suit your argument about the use of ND filters.This is what I said.
"The use of ND filters on GoPro cameras is to block or lessen the effects of jello. While some filter are large enough they also block the prop strobing. If there is no problem with jello a good sun hood mounted on a clear lens protector will eliminate prop strobing I make my own."
Exactlly :"While some filter are large enough they also block the prop strobing" - they do it because of the size of the adapter becomes a lens hood.
So again have forgot the UV filter part? Or have you find out you were wrong after all?

Recapitulating:
You agree about the lens hood.
You agree about the ND filter.
You agree about the time of day to fly.
And the point you didn't agree: the UV filter, you are forgetting it in every post since you've been prove wrong?

You should really stop making this personal, telling people they no nothing about camera equipment.

Please don't turn this thread to an argument....I just want people suggestions.
I'm sorry mate.
But when I tried to help you, someone had to make this personal with "You don't have allot of knowledge regarding the use of camera equipment."
Too bad he didn't added nothing to the OPs solutions.

Exactlly :"While some filter are large enough they also block the prop strobing" - they do it because of the size of the adapter becomes a lens hood.
So again have forgot the UV filter part? Or have you find out you were wrong after all?

Recapitulating:
You agree about the lens hood.
You agree about the ND filter.
You agree about the time of day to fly.
And the point you didn't agree: the UV filter, you are forgetting it in every post since you've been prove wrong?

You should really stop making this personal, telling people they no nothing about camera equipment.

The reason for not being up UV filters is because it's a pointless argument with somebody such as you and the statement you made which I quote.
"That's because proper cameras already have UV filters." That statement is why I call your thread tripe. The UV coating is on the lens itself and I never use an external UV on any of my lenses.

I also do not agree with you statement about remote IR that again is a load of tripe. As a tv repair tech for 20 some years that is how we use to test remotes when we could find our infrared detector cards. Well so much for UV blocking the IR signal.

So bottom line there isn't much of what you had or have to say that I would agree with.

The reason for not being up UV filters is because it's a pointless argument with somebody such as you and the statement you made which I quote.
"That's because proper cameras already have UV filters." That statement is why I call your thread tripe. The UV coating is on the lens itself and I never use an external UV on any of my lenses.

I also do not agree with you statement about remote IR that again is a load of tripe. As a tv repair tech for 20 some years that is how we use to test remotes when we could find our infrared detector cards. Well so much for UV blocking the IR signal.

So bottom line there isn't much of what you had or have to say that I would agree with.
you don't have to agree to the iphone IR test. Its like gravity: its a real thing. you can try it yourself. Do you want me to film it and show it to you?
"cameras already have UV filters." Cameras as a hole! the OP has a GoPro camera, other users here use the Vision+ cameras, they are not interchangeable lens cameras. so YES: cameras already have UV filters, if its in the lens or after the lens, how does that invalidate that statement?
Again, besides being too blind to believe in a real test you can do it yourself with your cell phone, you've just agreed to all the other points I've made: Lens Hood, ND filter and Time of Day.
thank you.

Last edited:
I never use a UV lens on either my Canon 7D or my Canon 5D III. So I won't use the one on this lens when it arrives. It is removable, isn't it? The ND filter will be good for very bright sunny days. Hope they make a CPL filter, as I use those a lot. I'll be checking into the lens hood suggestion. BTW............. what does the term "jello" mean in relation to the Phantom video? Shudder and shake?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic