Props on Phantom 2 is spinning in reverse.

Reaction score
I recently crashed my Phantom 2 when it hit a tree on the beach. I took it home and opened it up to blow out the sand. When I replaced the cover in the correct orientation (The decals were cut on the seam so it was easy to match them back up) the props are spinning backwards pushing the drone into the ground. I can't understand why, because the only connection interfered with was the GPS connection.
I'd really like to get back in the air again. With your help I should be able to.
thanks in advance.

My first guess is that you check the propellers... are they on the correct motor?

If ALL the propellers are spinning "backwards", move all of them over to the next motor. In other words, start with the first prop, take it off and move it to # 2.
put the 2nd prop into the 3rd motor, move #3 to 4th motor, then #4 to the first motor.

If this is confusing, then just take off each propeller and move each of them over one space.

otherwise, you should look at the alignment of your shell again....

Last edited:
I won't say it's impossible but...I really want to cause, well...

The props cannot be put on incorrectly so that can't be the issue.

In order to reverse the motor direction you would have to have swapped the location of any two of the wires between the ESC(s) and the motor(s).

Anything else you can tell us?

N107RW... by golly you're right~! well then my next guess is that when he took it apart, something got reversed to the main power.

Sorry rhr,

Reversing the battery polarity would let all the 'magic smoke' out of the drone (if you know what I mean ;) )

Reactions: jason
Are you sure they are spinning backwards? Look at each arm, there is an arrow that shows the direction for tightening. Your props should spin the opposite direction that you have tightened.

The other thing I can think of is that you flipped your M1-M4 (motor1 to Motor4) cable on the NAZA.
If you have done this, then the phantom will do a flip immediately on take off.

Are you sure they are spinning backwards? Look at each arm, there is an arrow that shows the direction for tightening. Your props should spin the opposite direction that you have tightened.

The other thing I can think of is that you flipped your M1-M4 (motor1 to Motor4) cable on the NAZA.
If you have done this, then the phantom will do a flip immediately on take off.

That's a good call M79!

It won't cause reverse rotation of the motors but mis-connecting any of the motors would cause a problem as soon as it tries to fly. The control output would, in a sense, be opposite what the IMU is 'requesting'.

I think the OP may not be telling us everything.

This is a long shot, but check in the NAZA assistant that you have the correct model selected, "X" not "+".

Yea.

These aren't our Dad's DC motors. Reversal requires a bit more than a polarity swap.

Thanks for the replies. Apparently nobody has had that experience.
The phantom 2 is booting up, it's taking the compass calibration, it's setting the home point and it's seeing all the Satellites. Apart from the motors spinning the other way, the 3D gimbal is also behaving erratic and won't settle down. I had to unplug it.
(The only props that could be interchanged are those on the Phantom 1.)
Apart from blowing out the sand with compressed air. I had to dismantle the motors in order to give it a thorough cleaning.
The thought about a switch in polarity came to me also, but that switching had to be done in the module, because I checked for a switch or button that might have moved while blowing out the sand, I found none.
I checked DJI with my problem, but was referred to their agent in the US. When I tried to call, I got a recording stating some thing was wrong with their lines and I must try again later. Then they sent me a performance request form. They've got nerve.

The only other thing that came to mind is if it will make a difference by switching the housing of the motors. The wiring and coils remained connected. But I hardly think so.

Did I read that right you might have put the bells on the wrong motors ? That would change the props for each arm if on wrong arm

The only other thing that came to mind is if it will make a difference by switching the housing of the motors. The wiring and coils remained connected. But I hardly think so.
This would absolutely cause your problem. If the motor has the wrong threaded bell, then only the wrong prop will fit it and this prop will be spinning in the wrong direction to provide lift.

750r and syotr, I want to thank you for your very valuable assistance. You did it. I'm now back in the air, thanks to you guys. I can't tell you how happy I am. I don't know why I decided to clean all the motors at once, but that's how I got the bells mixed up.

Reactions: 750r
750r and syotr, I want to thank you for your very valuable assistance. You did it. I'm now back in the air, thanks to you guys. I can't tell you how happy I am. I don't know why I decided to clean all the motors at once, but that's how I got the bells mixed up.

Glad you got it sorted.
Without all the info. we often can't solve the problem and no detail is too small!

Oh yes N017RW, and I want to thank everyone for their input, including the humor too. Sure appreciate it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20