Proposed US Federal Reg? Give Cities added power up to 200 ft AGL?

Reaction score
Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly, if you know the facts...

One of our greatest heroes in helping to remove despotic and nonsensical drone regulations is Brenden Schulman, right? He worked on - and won - a couple of landmark cases when things were just getting started, and now he works for DJI (I think). Cool.

According to the following article, Brenden wants cities in the US to participate in discussions and possibly have some enforcing authority within the first 200 feet above the ground. Tell me I am interpreting this incorrectly.

At present, cities can certainly prohibit unsafe and reckless operation as well as where you can take off and land, along with various privacy law enforcement (e.g. "peeping Tom" stuff, not specifically targeting drones). The following news article really appears to indicate someone wants to extend that authority A LOT.

FAA's Drone Advisory Committee Lacks Buy-In By Cities, States <<== Link

At this point, some cities, like San Francisco, DON'T want to join any Drone association discussions, but they DO WANT the Feds to give them authority in the air? This is just weird. Someone who knows better than me, please chime in and say it isn't so. At least the FAA knows something about aviation, but your average city council? Not so much.

Last edited:
Sadly, this is where the country is headed........over-reaching regulation by government that has no logic, and the ability to monitor through the internet. activity......at some point you begin to wonder, at least I do.

Reactions: Phil Tuggle
Sadly, this is where the country is headed........over-reaching regulation by government that has no logic, and the ability to monitor through the internet. activity......at some point you begin to wonder, at least I do.

I am fine with FAA regulations, which are very reasonable in my opinion.

I just do not want ANY cities to have authority beyond their existing blanket pedestrian, safety, privacy, and noise etc laws, and their privilege to constrain where we cannot take off and land. NO air authority for cities, please! If they are allowed to do this, MANY WILL simply because it is a new (and free) fine/permit cash stream.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen