Proper method of inserting and removing battery

Reaction score
I have seen so many YouTube vids showing folks sliding the battery into its bay and then driving it home with a firm push and solid 'click' as the battery's locking tabs clip onto the bay's inner tangs. My concern is that this repeated snapping in of the battery will wear down the inner tangs on the copter's battery bay over time (and/or the battery tabs). If that were to happen, and a battery was to slide free in flight, the result would be horrible.

Is this a valid concern? What I have been doing is pressing the battery tabs inward prior to sliding the battery in, and after I can feel that it's all the way in and properly seated, I give it a little tug just to be sure.

Am I just paranoid on this one?

Reactions: Reed L and BillyP13
I have seen so many YouTube vids showing folks sliding the battery into its bay and then driving it home with a firm push and solid 'click' as the battery's locking tabs clip onto the bay's inner tangs. My concern is that this repeated snapping in of the battery will wear down the inner tangs on the copter's battery bay over time (and/or the battery tabs). If that were to happen, and a battery was to slide free in flight, the result would be horrible.

Is this a valid concern? What I have been doing is pressing the battery tabs inward prior to sliding the battery in, and after I can feel that it's all the way in and properly seated, I give it a little tug just to be sure.

Am I just paranoid on this one?
What you are doing is fine. Yes, you are paranoid, but we are not out to get you, yet.

Some early batteries were prone to cracking. There's an internal spring that snaps against the inside of the case near the LEDs. The outer case acts as a stop for the spring. The force of the spring hitting the case has resulted in small cracks forming by the LEDs. It's not common, but a significant number of people have reported this.

I have two older batteries, but I've never had any of them crack. After discovering that this can happen, to be on the safe side, I hold the upper and lower battery tabs tight as I insert the battery so the spring doesn't make a loud snap as the battery 'clicks' home.

crack-on-battery.jpg

Thanks folks. It sounds like I'm on the right track here with my thinking then. I appreciate the replies and info!!

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Some early batteries were prone to cracking. There's an internal spring that snaps against the inside of the case near the LEDs. The outer case acts as a stop for the spring. The force of the spring hitting the case has resulted in small cracks forming by the LEDs. It's not common, but a significant number of people have reported this.

I have two older batteries, but I've never had any of them crack. After discovering that this can happen, to be on the safe side, I hold the upper and lower battery tabs tight as I insert the battery so the spring doesn't make a loud snap as the battery 'clicks' home.

View attachment 64002
This is exactly why they switched to the Part 53s.

They just didn't admit it because then they set themselves up for recall, law suit, etc.

Proof positive, find me that crack on a part 53, as opposed to a Part 7 which this is.

I have a couple part 7s with the same crack. Shame because I prefer the look of the 7s but won't fly a battery with a crack.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Thanks folks. It sounds like I'm on the right track here with my thinking then. I appreciate the replies and info!!

I'm with you, slide it in, push in the tabs and ensure it's clicked in place. No cracks on my batts.

I sent 3 of my 6 batteries in to DJI for this issue. I am sure the other 3 would have cracked if I didn't see the cracks and change the way I put my battery in. I am still waiting for the batteries to be returned but the invoice DJI sent said each part was $3, of course they zeroed it out and I didn't pay anything, I insisted they provide the lane for me to ship them the batteries too so I am out nothing for the repair.

I just hope I get the batteries back before a wedding I am shooting in 6 days, it will be close but I suppose I can use 3 batteries and my 4in one charger. The wedding is a 2.5hr drive from my house, they mostly want the typical shots before and after the ceremony i.e. Wedding party in the shape of a heart etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.