Propellers, source of all Evil

Reaction score
And bliss when you get it right of course.

The props I used last, where original DJI Vision props, that bit the dust once, but were balanced again.

Yet, they gave vibes, so I was happy to receive new props yesterday and today.

Yesterday I got some Vision style CF props, similar to the ones I wrongly attributed my crash to, but different as they have a sort of slat shape at the leading edge. I checked their balance and wow, the were far off. Don't even care to try them.

So, next the Vision Style Props with a a hole, and not self tightening, praised somewhere else on this forum. Of course far from balanced, so I tried to balance them as good as I could. I noticed that they were not really level when put on the motors, the tips of the props were not on the same height when compared to the other tips of the props.

Let's give it a try anyway. A lot of vibes in video, and the Phantom made some very odd moves now and then, I got scared it would tip over and fall to its faith.

Ok, next, I also got some self tightening props, I guess from the same factory, they are marked OXXoo or something. Tips were closer together, but still not level. Checked their balance, and way off. Both white and black were wrongly balanced at the same side.

Nah, lets give it a try anyway. OMG I was glad I could get the Phantom back, it went all over the place, did not hold altitude. I flew as careful and gentle as I could back to take off point where I cought the tortured Phantom.

Next flight I went back to CF 8 inch props I used some time ago, and I knew were balanced (by me). OMG It was a long time ago the Phantom flew as easy, smooth and steady as it did now. Vibes still present, but a lot less as with the others.

Ok, the flight was shorter, but way smoother.

So, thats were we are now: and here the current collection:

Attachments

• props.jpg
    props.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 544
I bought a set of Phantom2 props (for my Pantom 1.1.1, self tightening props). They increased my flight time, but are way flimsier/fragile, compared to stock props.
Is this the case with all/any p2 or vision props? Or was it just the aftermarket dealer I got them from?
I crashed the p2 props once, broke a prop. Crashed the stock props several times, still working.

P2 props are thin and flexible, that's normal. What are the markings on your props?

Ah, have those too. When I just put them on, unbalanced, they were dangerous to fly. At least, the ones I have.

Quick... somebody stop me!

Too late:

Props to you for doing the R&D on all of these aftermarket rotors!

Thanks. Further research, but not tried yet though, suggests that the best props for me will be APC 11x4.7 SF.

Yes, they don't fit on a Phantom, but they fit fine on a T-Motor 3110, attached on another quad.

Ton4 said:
Ah, have those too. When I just put them on, unbalanced, they were dangerous to fly. At least, the ones I have.
Really unbalanced props can feel like flying manual mode. The sad thing is, you have to make sure your prop balancer is balanced, too.

El, you seem like a nice guy, and you do a lot of nice things with the Phantom. But its not for me. I have been busy too long with it, spend too much money on it, and still wonder how I can make it all work and behave nicely.

I hope I get time and resources soon, and then I will fly to Sydney to the XAircraft disributor/shop and won't leave until I got a stable platform.

And with whats left of the Phantom, I'll make a lightweight, high mah range testing "machine", and if it one day doesn't fly home, it solves a problem.

No worries. I've just been seeing you trying so many things over the last few weeks and am trying to help. I don't have all the answers but for me, it's all about keeping it fun and not getting too mired down in frustration :)

Ok, balanced the xxooxx self tightening props. Quite a weight saver too, I must say. A lot of plastic was sanded off.

Did a flight, and things went smooth, except for an occasional rather sudden and strange reaction of the Phantom, like its reacting too fast. This suggest lowering gains I suppose, and thats strange, because most seem to increase gains with P2 props...

Strangely the flightimes seem to have decreased a whole minute with these props, compared to my battered DJI P2 props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.