Reaction score
So, two simple questions that should generate a lot of replies. I'd really like it if replies were limited to experiences of those who've done it and the results.

Carbon Fiber Propellers - what's different? Pros & Cons

Balancing Propellers - how often do the OEM DJI Phantom 4 propellers need to be balanced out of the box (i.e., is this a rare problem or common) and, perhaps more significant; how much of what effect does having an "out of balance" propeller have?

I've wacked a propeller or two and everything has survived and I've resumed flying "just fine." Surely, hitting a tree branch and, in another case, rubbing off about 1/8" from the tips of just two of the four blades on one side (she tipped over and it took a moment before I could stop the motors). They physically look worn - yet, as far as I can tell, I'm not suffering. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
db

Carbon props brake a lot easier on a crash, and they can cut you very bad if you are on their way. Only plastics. DJI original props have a reputation, to be well balanced, out of the box.
P.s. Change the damaged props. Motors running on them, usually turn faster, to compensate reduced lift, and maintain level.

I have a scar across my wrist from a plastic prop. They all deserve respect. Question...does anyone produce tri-bladed props for the P4?

Glancing blow from a plastic prop: laugh about it and bandage it up yourself. Get hit with a broken carbon prop and you're going to hospital, plus the issues that carbon fibre in the body can cause...

Stick with the plastic ones, replace them if they're damaged. Price for genuine props is pretty good considering how durable they are IMO.

Really there is no reason to use carbon especially w/o knowing anything about design and quality control. It is cool stuff and used for many things but incorrect design, usage or quality and it will easily break. Broken prop = CRASH! Not worth it, stick with DJI props.

I barely nicked a small tree branch, no crash. I landed the drone. The props looked fine, but I swapped them out just to be safe. The price of the props are small compared to the cost of the drone. I will change them on a regular basis just for maintenance. I will stick with the DJI props.

Reactions: Droner66

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1