Propeller Flew off when Flying

Reaction score
Had my first accident today thankfully on an open field with grass apex 10'. The odd part is my propeller flew off as I was accelerating and landed about 15 yards in front of me. Uploaded them to healthydrones and a few things came up.

Drone wasn't damaged and made two flights after that with no issues. I always do a good preflight check with making sure the props are on snug.

If someone can look at the log and give me a better idea, please.

I couldn't find anything alarming in your flight record. I by far am not an expert though, hopefully someone can find something. So what happened when the prop flew off? I assume the bird just instantly flipped right over?

Usually a prop is thrown when they are not tight enough or excessive braking causes it to come loose. As long as you didn't over tighten the props at some point the threads should be OK. You could just throw it away to be sure and use a fresh one to rule it out.

Yeah they have to be snug.

I started tightening mine a little more after finger-tight. Heard stories lately of props slinging off.

I lost a prop on my Standard last week. Crashed hard. Now I tighten these ones a bit more cautiously. I was not paying close enough attention before. I changed my procedures as well to make sure it never happens again. Cost me a drone.

Right, but snerd is correct. You need to do a little more than snug. Braking in P-Mode can be wicked.

Last edited:
If the prop was snug, then perhaps it's damaged. The hub could be cracked or worn on the inside.

Right, but snerd is correct. You need to do a little more than snug. Braking in P-Mode can be wicked.

Yes. Of course you have to make sure the prop is snug. But

The prop fly off while accelerating which should actually tightening the prop!

The braking in P-mode might be somewhat wicked, (you do realize when you say braking in a quad, the motor doesn't really reverse or slow down that much, is the tilt of the quad which cause the reverse of direction while the speed of prop stay relatively constant! but if the prop can come off under "braking" as easily as you seem to think, I can assure you phantom 3 will be falling out of sky everywhere and DJI will be looking at a worldwide recall on product design defect.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: NormanNormal
Yes. Of course you have to make sure the prop is snug. But

The prop fly off while accelerating which should actually tightening the prop!

The braking in P-mode might be somewhat wicked, (you do realize when you say braking in a quad, the motor doesn't really reverse or slow down that much, is the tilt of the quad which cause the reverse of direction while the speed of prop stay relatively constant! but if the prop can come off under "braking" as easily as you seem to think, I can assure you phantom 3 will be falling out of sky everywhere and DJI will be looking at a worldwide recall on product design defect.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Actually the motors do slow down considerably with active braking. The P3 ESC are a derivative of the E310 propulsion system being true sine wave drive. The motors are easily slowed by reducing the drive frequency.

Thanks guys for your input, I'll be sure to make sure their extra snug. I'll post a link to the video thought I had hit a bird or something just flying fine and then flip.

I sadly admit to a loose prop incident. On take off with my P2v+ did a lift to about a few inches when the prop flys off and it flips over. Also the battery failure, I didn't snap the battery in properly. Now I do better prep flight tests before I actually fly off. Few on the ground, few at about 15' in the air, the extra time has produced better pics/vids.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: snerd
I lost a prop on my Standard last week. Crashed hard. Now I tighten these ones a bit more cautiously. I was not paying close enough attention before. I changed my procedures as well to make sure it never happens again. Cost me a drone.
By that do you mean you will now tighten them a bit harder or looser than before? Sorry about your loss btw.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan