Propeller change time

Reaction score
Hey all

I wanna ask
If my p3a has never crashed and always flew well. Do i have to change props after a certain period of time?
And please can you post some pics of damaged prop threads so i can understand what to look out for?

I don't think you need to change the props unless you see a crack or chip off or loose in mounting. You should clean the props regularly with a damp cloth and check for the balance at least once in say two months.

You can continue to use them as long as:
  • There are no damaged edges along the sides of the prop
  • There are no cracks around the center hub
  • The threads inside of the hub are not damaged and/or worn
It's a good idea to inspect the props for these issues prior to each flight.

....and if you are not comfortable with them, change them. They don't cost much.

Reactions: SteveAikens
I like to take a magnifying glass and go over every mm of surface area of each prop every once in a while to look for cracks. Might seem like a bit much, but actually, it's kinda fun.

If they aren't crashed or over tightened you will get a lot of flights, the only real wear is during installation and removal. Spin em on and snug gently to tighten, you will get a feel for how they go on and notice when something is starting to get a little off. Keep an eye on the threads and as said above look for split hubs and cracks. We have covered this all when you had your last prop thread.

So here is the main question, what does damaged prop threads mean?

In the begining i noticed my props had a bit of black/bluish paint leak color on one or two threads in them. So i decided to change them. But after a week of getting new ones, i saw that they also got it.
Meaning its about my motors. Now i am flying with this props, and all is fine. I hand tight them after rolling them over the motors.
Cuz, i can't be changing props every 2 weeks right?

So can anyone post a picture of a damaged prop thread? So i will understand when to know - what does REAL damaged prop thread mean

So here is the main question, what does damaged prop threads mean?
The threads are plastic, so it would be possible for them to be cracked/malformed if they were (for example) cross threaded while screwing them on. Check out a brand new prop to see what the threads should look like.

The threads are plastic, so it would be possible for them to be cracked/malformed if they were (for example) cross threaded while screwing them on. Check out a brand new prop to see what the threads should look like.
I understand but what about this?
Is this(inside) considered as a damaged thread?

Zoom in to see well. There is a black dottish...

Attachments

• 1460283930788.jpg
    1460283930788.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 404
  • 1460283938613.jpg
    1460283938613.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 402
I cannot see it -- your photo is not clear. Compare it to a prop you've never used.

I cannot see it -- your photo is not clear. Compare it to a prop you've never used.
I did. And this ones have a small dot in them. I need to figure out is this called damaged thread or this is just a paint that came of from motors, after tightening props. :)
Here is one more

I understand but what about this?
Is this(inside) considered as a damaged thread?

Zoom in to see well. There is a black dottish...
Is that one you posted in one of your earlier threads (that you managed to screw on backwards)? It's hard to see but looks like it may have been cross threaded.....

Is that one you posted in one of your earlier threads (that you managed to screw on backwards)? It's hard to see but looks like it may have been cross threaded.....
I never screwed on backwards. I think you are talking about someone else.

I never screwed on backwards. I think you are talking about someone else.
The thread in the photo you posted above looks like this one you posted in January...

propeler.jpg

You said you needed to push down on it while turning and it was hard to screw on. I saw another one someone (a friend of mine) managed to cross thread and it looked a lot like this afterwards.

The thread in the photo you posted above looks like this one you posted in January...

View attachment 50114

You said you needed to push down on it while turning and it was hard to screw on. I saw another one someone (a friend of mine) managed to cross thread and it looked a lot like this afterwards.
Yes, its the same one. But i didn't need to push down on it.it just didn'tself tighten. That was the question in the other thread.

So is this from the photo considered a damage?

Yes, its the same one. But i didn't need to push down on it.it just didn'tself tighten. That was the question in the other thread.

So is this from the photo considered a damage?
Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't fly with that prop. Now I think about it- it might be one you were tightening with the spanner. If it wasn't cross threaded it was probably over tightened. The thread Is definitely deformed and seems to have taken on some of the coating from the motor shaft thread.

Msinger gave you excellent advice. Compare your used prop threads to a brand new one for comparison. If they spin on nicely and feel good when you snug them down all good.

Fly and have fun!

Reactions: t2adze
Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't fly with that prop. Now I think about it- it might be one you were tightening with the spanner. If it wasn't cross threaded it was probably over tightened. The thread Is definitely deformed and seems to have taken on some of the coating from the motor shaft thread.

Msinger gave you excellent advice. Compare your used prop threads to a brand new one for comparison. If they spin on nicely and feel good when you snug them down all good.

Fly and have fun!
Thanks a lot!

What i did now, is i dumped all of my propellers, and i will pay attention from now. Will start using all of the new propellers and never touch spanner again.

BUT i really doubt, that all of your propellers look brand new inside as well. What happens in this propellers they have some coating on them. But they are not damaged. I am sure same thing goes in everyone's proppelers.
Just to afraid to give it a try.

Will pay attention from now. If the new ones also get the "paint" on thrreads even when only with hand tightening - then this theory is false.

But still thanks a lot for your time!

Thanks a lot!

What i did now, is i dumped all of my propellers, and i will pay attention from now. Will start using all of the new propellers and never touch spanner again.

BUT i really doubt, that all of your propellers look brand new inside as well. What happens in this propellers they have some coating on them. But they are not damaged. I am sure same thing goes in everyone's proppelers.
Just to afraid to give it a try.

Will pay attention from now. If the new ones also get the "paint" on thrreads even when only with hand tightening - then this theory is false.

But still thanks a lot for your time!
Pleased I could help.....

I think you have the record on here for prop issues and questions..

None of my threads look like your image. I spin them on and while holding the prop I use my thumb and forefinger to gently tighten. The prob is held still while I turn the motor. You can get a good feel for how much torque you are applying this way. It is consistent and repeatable. You are also less likely to over tighten and damage the threads.

I looked at the threads on my current set, they have been mounted 30 times and still look like ones I have never used.

Reactions: t2adze
I always use the spanner to hold the motor when mounting props. Never had a problem doing so. Old guy with some hand issues that pretty much make the spanner necessary. The key is to understand the difference in feel for properly tightened props vs over-tightened props. They're self-tightening props, make them snug and they'll take care of the rest.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie