Propeller advice

Reaction score
I am new the phantom world and am trying to learn more about the accessories available for it. I have done a fair amount of research and reading on this forum regarding the different style of props, but am still left with some unanswered questions that I'm hoping I can get some help with.

- What are the pros/cons of changing the prop diameter? (I've found some very long winded answers to this but was hoping for some simplistic feedback)
- When I am looking to buy props, how do I tell if they are compatible with the phantom and will properly fit with the flats on the shaft?
- Is there any recommendations for telling good quality props from bad quality props when I'm searching? (certain manufacturers, etc)

Any links to where I can purchase recommended props would be appreciated.

I say stick wight he stock props, get some spares, get a DuBro prop balancer and a good vibration isolation mount or gimbal and then follow up the treads on what people say about the different props over the next few months to then make your decision if you want to try other props.

i tried different props but i ended using back the original phantom props. the carbon fiber propeller are good but when you get crash the CF propeller breaks easily. the dji original propeller does the job very well.

Stock props seem to be great. I've ground them a couple of times when I first started and they didn't break. There are chips out of some of the props even but they perform fantastic. Still haven't used the spares that came with the phantom

Main reason you would want different props is for either stiffer blades or more lift. If you fly heavy looking into 9 inch props will give you more lift and so better flight times. The new dji vision props must be pretty good as they get 25 minutes at 1160g with a 5200mah battery and i get a max 11 minutes at the same weight using a 2700mah battery in 9 inch triblades though thats very slow flying and my regular faster flying only gets just over 8 minutes. These new dji props may well be worth a try if you have cw and ccw threaded stock motors but they may also release them without enclosed nuts.

With the stiffness this gives better flight control but also stiffer props are more likely to break then a soft plastic which will bend before failing. Pretty much any decent prop thats been well balanced will reduce vibrations so getting a dubro balancer is a good thing. Except with the new dji props with self contained nuts I dont know how you would go about balancing them as you need to be able to put the balancer shaft through the prop.

I tried the Zinger wooden props. Great rigidity and lift but shattered one prop on first tip over. Way too fragile.

I've tried some Graupners, Zingers (wooden), Plastic, CF 8x5 and also Tri-Blades CF 9x5.
Stocks DJI works great for general purpouses, CF 9x5 graet for loaded phantom (mine is 1190 gr), tri-blades 9x5 (GWS) great lift and longer fligth times but not abuse with throttle. Now I will try 4-blades just released by T-Motors - Antigravity :ugeek:

Propellers2.jpg
Propeller-4-blades.jpg

Those t motor 9x3 props could be pretty good, a bit pricey but seeing the times that DJI is getting with their new 9 inch vision props at 1160g in a similar profile to these by tiger. Tigers are lighter then stock 8 inch and they only make quality stuff so I think I will get one set but not use those for my proximity tree bashing flights. At $40 a pair they are a bit expensive to break regularly but I have been looking for well built solid good lift carbon props and these may be the ones with likely better performance then the GWS triblades in terms of efficiency and if its a similar lift with lighter weight but stiffer its win win except for the price.

I will get the regular 6mm diameter versions not the DJI prop profile ones but both are the same blade and price, I think the DJI 9 inch blades are going to be pretty good for most looking at their numbers. 25 minutes at 1160g on 5200mah is pretty impressive so that would be a benefit to all and they will be cheap so no need to worry about them as much as the tiger props.

After installing my gimbal I have to say that the GWS 9050 triblades are awesome on a heavy phantom along with a larger battery. I am still getting 8-8 1/2 minutes flying around in GPS or ATTI modes in windy conditions finishing at 11v unloaded. Total weight of my setup now is 1400g with a storm 2700mah and an extra 30g for zippy 2800mah which is giving me just a little more about 20-30 seconds over the storm. I am also using a small 450mah battery to power my gimbal atm, I have soldered a cable to my aux port but have the wrong plug on it with both being female so that doesnt really work :oops: and I dont have a spare JST male plug that I can use atm. Will be interesting to see if getting rid of the small battery and powering of the main makes much difference in flight time with the added weight vs power needed from the gimbal. I suspect no battery will last a little longer but 8 minutes on the full setup I am quite happy being able to easily fly 7 1/2 minutes without worry about running out of juice.

I will try the new DJI 9 inch props and am tempted to get the tiger 9x3 too but I still dont think either of them will give the same lift as the triblades but the dual blades should be more efficiant just not sure if they are going to be much good at lifting a phantom over 1.2kg.

martcerv said:
After installing my gimbal I have to say that the GWS 9050 triblades are awesome on a heavy phantom along with a larger battery. I am still getting 8-8 1/2 minutes flying around in GPS or ATTI modes in windy conditions finishing at 11v unloaded. Total weight of my setup now is 1400g with a storm 2700mah and an extra 30g for zippy 2800mah which is giving me just a little more about 20-30 seconds over the storm. I am also using a small 450mah battery to power my gimbal atm, I have soldered a cable to my aux port but have the wrong plug on it with both being female so that doesnt really work :oops: and I dont have a spare JST male plug that I can use atm. Will be interesting to see if getting rid of the small battery and powering of the main makes much difference in flight time with the added weight vs power needed from the gimbal. I suspect no battery will last a little longer but 8 minutes on the full setup I am quite happy being able to easily fly 7 1/2 minutes without worry about running out of juice.

I will try the new DJI 9 inch props and am tempted to get the tiger 9x3 too but I still dont think either of them will give the same lift as the triblades but the dual blades should be more efficiant just not sure if they are going to be much good at lifting a phantom over 1.2kg.

What are you up to tomorrow?
I'm working, but I'm sure I could find an hour or 4 to come past, I have sh**loads of cables and plugs. If you post a pic of the female should have I'll bring, or make up a fem-fem connector??

I got the tiger props during the week. I already tried stock props, CF ones etc but there is something different about these, they change the way Phantom flies, seems much smoother.. zero vibrations (balanced T-motor motors also), definitely increased the flight time, not much though. First impressions are good, IMHO worth the extra cost especially if you are filming from the Phantom. I will test them properly and report once the weather picks up.

imaj said:
I got the tiger props during the week. I already tried stock props, CF ones etc but there is something different about these, they change the way Phantom flies, seems much smoother.. zero vibrations (balanced T-motor motors also), definitely increased the flight time, not much though. First impressions are good, IMHO worth the extra cost especially if you are filming from the Phantom. I will test them properly and report once the weather picks up.

you mean the tmotor 9*3 carbon props in black/white?
Ive heard negative things about them, like the phantom wont hold its altitute in center stick position, this would be a no-go. Maybe because they are only 9*3, not 9*4.5. I will try the vision props, they must be awesome

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj