Prop wash (vortex ring state) then crash into sydney harbour

Reaction score
Today I was flying over some yatchs on Sydney harbour, all of a sudden the phantom got the wobbles and literally fell out of the sky. I think it got prop wash as I was descending from 60m. I also put some carbon fiber blades on it and this was my third flight with them on. I suspect the fast descent and carbon blades caused the issue. Here is the last thing i saw on my phone, $1500 worth of fish food.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-23-15-54-42.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-23-15-54-42.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,042
Re: Prop wash (vortex ring state) then crash into sydney har

It's my guess that one of the props loosened up and flew off, rather then prop wash.

flyNfrank said:
It's my guess that one of the props loosened up and flew off, rather then prop wash.

I initially thought this also but after reading about prop wash I though that this may have been the cause.

Why do you think that it was a loose blade rather than prop wash?

I guess I will never use chinese carbon fiber blades again !!

Ugh, that looks nasty. I think VRS is less likely with the latest firmware though, particularly when moving laterally whilst descending (which you were) and when there's a bit of a breeze, which also looks like was the case.

I take it that "Phantom Connection Broken" alert popped up only after it hit the water?

singapore_phantom said:
Ugh, that looks nasty. I think VRS is less likely with the latest firmware though, particularly when moving laterally whilst descending (which you were) and when there's a bit of a breeze, which also looks like was the case.

I take it that "Phantom Connection Broken" alert popped up only after it hit the water?

Yeah the "phantom connection broken" alert appeared when it hit the water, i literally watched it tumble out of the sky on my phone. I used the CF props a few times before and they seemed ok, they are self tightening so im not sure how they could fall off. I have read that CF props make the phantom more prone to prop wash as they are less flexible, not sure how true this is though.

About three weeks ago, mine lost GPS lock, drifted and hit a branch and tumbled into salt water too. Oysters cut the hell out of me but I was able to retrieve it.

Sold it for $4oo to hunch: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27737&hilit=tstowe

With VRS, the quad will normally stay pretty much the right way up, but from what you say, there was a tumble? I would go for a prop failure of some sort rather than VRS.

Did you add propguards with that carbon fiber useless garbage issue ?

budfox said:
flyNfrank said:

I initially thought this also but after reading about prop wash I though that this may have been the cause.

Why do you think that it was a loose blade rather than prop wash?

I guess I will never use chinese carbon fiber blades again !!

My theory is based on what prop you had just recently installed. They are less forgiving the stock props and require more attention then normal. Btw, if it will help to make you feel any better I have lost a P2V and a P2V+ this year which means I have bought 3 total.

HEY....that reminds me.....did you happen to see my black friday-(dji) thread? Brand new vPlus are $1039!!! and $1069 with spare battery!!! That is a smokin deal. Hopefully you can take advantage of it.

ToThePoint said:

No, there were no prop guards on it. One thing I learned from this is that you should not trust carbon fiber props, they really dont give you much benefit anyway. I bought another phantom 2 vision + today. An expensive lesson learned.

ToThePoint said:

No, there were no prop guards on it. One thing I learned from this is that you should not trust carbon fiber props, they really dont give you much benefit anyway. I bought another phantom 2 vision + today. An expensive lesson learned.

budfox said:
singapore_phantom said:

Yeah the "phantom connection broken" alert appeared when it hit the water, i literally watched it tumble out of the sky on my phone. I used the CF props a few times before and they seemed ok, they are self tightening so im not sure how they could fall off. I have read that CF props make the phantom more prone to prop wash as they are less flexible, not sure how true this is though.

I'm from Sydney so G'day mate. I don't say in real life though.
Unfortunate to see a quad go down. I would have loved to have seen the footage of our beautiful harbour.

About your quad...
I don't think the prop fell off. I think it sheared off from the locking nut.
Some of the manufacturers "fuse" the plastic to the nut. Some just glue it in. I think with enough force, the nut inside can come out. Now think of this.. the carbon props are rigid. If something obstructs the props whilst in motion, the nut on the inside can come loose. Now apply a couple of revs and theres a high chance of the locking nut shearing the plastic/glue off. It could be a manufacturers fault as they never test.

Anyways.. get the v 3.0 of the plus - Upgraded motors/props/esc and Transmitter!!
Upload some clips of Sydney!!

I have tested this, and it worked great using a 3.5 lb weight.
There is sufficient flotation with this volume for over 4 lbs.

HDPE food storage/freezer storage bags are extremely tough, as are Nylon tie-wraps.

Just be sure to get the heavy-duty double-zipper freezer food storage bags, not the flimsy sandwich bags and also good quality nylon tie-wraps (not plastic)..

Having said all that, I've never crashed the bird and recovered it using this, and I hope I never have to.

It's almost free, you can install them just before the flight, and toss them out after.

A chance of recovery is better than none.

Video here: http://tinyurl.com/lqeknak

Attachments

• FloatsForADime.jpg
    FloatsForADime.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 451

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm wondering why anyone ever considered switching to carbon fiber props. What were you hoping to gain from replacing the OEM props?

mitchellbrent said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm wondering why anyone ever considered switching to carbon fiber props. What were you hoping to gain from replacing the OEM props?

Yep I'm an idiot..... full stop. I bought another phantom and there is no way I'm putting any carbon fiber crap on it.

budfox said:
mitchellbrent said:

Yep I'm an idiot..... full stop. I bought another phantom and there is no way I'm putting any carbon fiber crap on it.

Hi budfox, from experience I would say it was VRS, I have two Phantoms, one is a P1 in a P2 body and the other is a P2VP. whenever I want to add anything new like props I test it on the P1 first and it has sure saved my P2VP from damage. I have two sets of CF props gathering dust because of testing them first, nearly every flight I was able to induce VRS but I was expecting it.

I also have tested third party plastic props and they were worse, not for VRS but when taking off in GPS or Atti mode they would take off at a great rate of knots to the right or left depending on which way it was facing. It was impossible to fly in GPS mode and barely in Atti mode, I came to the conclusion as so many other Phantom flyers have that sticking with the DJI props is the best option.

I do fly the P2VP in Sydney quite often myself.

Cheers,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav