Prop shields may cause fly away (?)

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am using Phantom 2 vision for ecological research in a rocky area and recently it was fixed and it returned without the propeller shields. I was told that specifically in this model the shields are actually one of the major causes for crashes as a result two central mechanisms: the shields may act as a sail and even small gusts may carry the quad-copter. Also, wind turbulence might be formed as a result of the movement of air through the shields and into the propellers. I was advised not to install the shields in this model in order to avoid future crashes that might end up in severe damage.
On the other hand, I also don't want to change propellers due to every slight touch which may occur when landing in windy conditions or in non-flat areas.
If anyone knows about these propeller shield induced crashes in the Phantom 2 vision, I would very much like to know.

Many thanks,
Ariel

When the P2V+ models started dropping from the sky, it was thought that the prop guards were contributing to causing a vortex effect while descending fast. I think these days it is generally accepted that descending fast with or without prop guards can get you caught in the prop wash where you lose lift and stability. I have my own theory that quick descents with prop guards can cause the guards to bend upward slightly and may contact the props, resulting in a tumble. These days I don't use them and just hand catch from a hover, rather than let it land on the ground. I think the concerns raised are valid, but I'd be pissed if someone didn't return accessories that I had purchased.

That has never been proven!
I have a P2v, and still use them depending on situation! Key is " Don't fly like a moron! " and you'll be fine! The only trouble I heard of ( before they slowed decent speed ) was vortex effect! Coming straight down too fast, would cause PROP WASH, as you are descending through your own turbulence, so giving it slight momentum any direction would fix it, but now they slowed the speed, to counteract vortex effect! I still descend with slight forward movement! Good habit to get into! In the end if you fly reasonably safe, you should be fine! Just my opinion, but mine NEVER caused me any issues! NOW aftermarket props, that is a different story, ONLY USE DJI PROPS! They say DJI on them!

J Dot

It's never a good idea to send your Phantom in for repair with accessories still attached. Who was it that took off your prop guards and didn't send them back? Are they going to return them?

Have never seen ado cumene case from prop shields causing a flay a way. Fly a ways are due to lose of control and are most likely due to the on board computer having a glitch or worse rebooting and dropping all data. By doing a reboot it loses all binding info, GPS data and even home lock location. Just like dropping a puppy dog of in the middle of the city. It's lost and doesn't know where to go.. Can go in any direction...

Thaks for all replys people !
Its extremely helpful for me.

A few clarifications: the P2V+ got back from the repair after a crash which resulted in the breakage of the prop gaurds as well as a more serious damage to the gimbal-camera unit (a combined unit in this model). The repair place did actualy give me back the broken guards and, to my request, also the damaged gimbal-camera unit. I've heard of the wind vortex effect due to the gaurds and wondered about whether getting new ones, as I originally described. I didn't hear of an actual fly away situation due to the gaurds, rather more of a loss of controll at low altitude especially when descending as.
Since the quad is a departmental equipment that belongs to the university, I'm not the one who decides, but deffinatly pass on the message that this phenomenon is not entirely decisive and that careful maneuvers is always advised particularily close to ground.

Thanks again !
Ariel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues