Prop retirement

Reaction score
Just wondering, do you have a certain number of flights for your props before you rotate them out and retire them? Or do you just give them a look over and make sure everything is in order?

Inspect them for cracks but so long as they are not damaged from trauma or the threads worn from donning/doffing, they are fine.

The one's on my P2 are close to 2 years old and about 200 flights.

If they look fine (not dinged nor dented nor broken/cracked); are balanced; sit tight on the motors and spin nice, then I keep them working. I only retire a prop or set when something really bad or beyond repair happens, I do the same with most of my RC aircrafts anyway. Just yesterday I was working on some older Phantom props, checking overall condition and balance and cleaning, etc. to put them back to service. But I always keep a set or two new at hand just in case.

I wonder if DJI has a recommendation for that. For 12 dollars a set its cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wonder if DJI has a recommendation for that.

Nope. Not based on usage. Just general inspection (pre-flight) for damage, wear, etc.
Your more likely to suffer an electrical related fault and there's no recomm. for that either.

Props have long life, you should replace them if you notice any cracks, chipping on edges or if they don't tight properly on motors. They are cheap, you can also replace at regular intervals just to give you a peace of mind.

Props have long life, you should replace them if you notice any cracks, chipping on edges or if they don't tight properly on motors. They are cheap, you can also replace at regular intervals just to give you a peace of mind.
I have set a reminder at 4 months. It is arbitrary, but for the price it seems like cheap insurance.

I plan on replacing them as I conduct the maintenance on my Phantom as prescribed in healthy drones. All my flights go there so when I get to the maintenance for the Phantom based on flight time I will replace the props. Not because they need to be replaced but because they are fairly inexpensive and of critical importance. I don't want to find out what the true lifetime of a prop is....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4