Prop nuts and GoPro mount

SVI

Reaction score
One of my prop nuts vibrated off causing the Phantom to tumble down and snapped the plate on the GoPro mount. I found some No 6 lock nuts but they don't seem to be getting snug enough to engage the locking gasket. Are there any alternative replacement nuts out there that may be more reliable? Or I'll even take the original ones, and just try to remember to tighten them on a regular basis. But since I got my Phantom off of Amazon I really don't have a contact for a dealer to order a new GoPro mount or replacement nuts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info - that's great to know.

* Note to self: frequently check your nuts.

SVI said:
One of my prop nuts vibrated off causing the Phantom to tumble down and snapped the plate on the GoPro mount. I found some No 6 lock nuts but they don't seem to be getting snug enough to engage the locking gasket. Are there any alternative replacement nuts out there that may be more reliable? Or I'll even take the original ones, and just try to remember to tighten them on a regular basis. But since I got my Phantom off of Amazon I really don't have a contact for a dealer to order a new GoPro mount or replacement nuts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

follow the link. the suggested nut works great.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127

as for the GoPro mount, you can find replacement ones on ebay, but they are sourced from china. currently there are about 10 available.

SVI said:

I use these, M6 from probolt:

http://www.probolt-usa.com/aluminium-dome-nuts-m6-din-1587-pack-x-10-red.html#.UYRITbRghyI

DOMENUT6-10R.jpg
nyn6-10bk.jpg

Zinger-Phantom.jpg

I am one of those who has not encountered loosening of the prop nuts. I check them from time to time maybe 3 out of my 20 plus flights and that's when I was working on balancing switching out the props. I happened across a guy about three weeks into my purchase out flying one of these in the same field I fly in and it was just random that we happened to come across each other. He explained that a few flights in he lost a prop nut and it also fell out of the sky a pretty good distance. I tighten mine down snug and then maybe a quarter turn more. I was even thinking of an entire hard nylon nut and cut down on weight even more but I don't know how much of a difference one could really make since the rotation mass of the nut is so close to center. I just really would like to have a perfectly balanced motor from the get go. Seems like the motor manufacture could see to it in the manufacturing process somewhere and may cost a few more cents. that's a detail that shouldn't be overlooked.

I'm ordering the ideal nut for the Phantom propeller. M6-1, 5.85 mm high, titanium grade 5 with nylock with 13mm flange. Use 10mm wrench. Lighter than steel and stronger. Am interested in who else might want some of these so maybe can get price down. Price will be approx $5/ea.

Attachments

• idealphantomnut_resize.jpg
    idealphantomnut_resize.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,237
  • idealphantomnut2_resize.jpg
    idealphantomnut2_resize.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,185
nhirsch said:
I'm ordering the ideal nut for the Phantom propeller. M6-1, 5.85 mm high, titanium grade 5 with nylock with 13mm flange. Use 10mm wrench. Lighter than steel and stronger. Am interested in who else might want some of these so maybe can get price down. Price will be approx $5/ea.

I'd be interesred

I had a similar experience recently losing a prop, luckily without any serious consequences. I replaced the nut with an M6 locking nut but I still don't consider it an ideal solution. Any recommended solution with UK/Eir suppliers :?:
It may be worth considering applying a small dot of red nail varnish (or modelling paint) on both the props and the nuts (this should not impact on the balance as it is so near the centre). At a glance it could then be seen if the nut loosened. What do you think :?:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4