Prop Help (Buying options)

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have been researching a lot but I find choosing props to be very confusing. On Amazon every third-party prop (plastic, carbon, etc) have terrible reviews, and it kinda leaves only the genuine DJI phantom props (which cost like $35 on amazon for 4 ) and have very nice reviews.

There are some other options like this:

1- 4 Genuine P2 props $30: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191131979134

Not genuine:

2- 4 plastic P2 props $11.80 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pair-DJI-Phan ... 3ce2046d88

3- 8 plastic P2 props: $29 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pairs-9-9443- ... 338eb3c286

4- 8 carbon P2 props: $43: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pair-Carbon-F ... 43ca92bd53

Can you guys please recommend me any prop you might know of? The genuine ones cost like 3x more. If I have to buy them I will but I would prefer more props for a lower price if they are good quality. If they are trash then I want to stay away from them.

What is your experience with carbon-fiber props? Please tell me about your experience.

I would be using them in a P2 + iOSD + H33D + Hero3+

Thanks a lot guys! Thank you all very much! :mrgreen:

This is going to make some of the guys that have been around a while cringe, it's been covered so many times.

Stick with genuine, I've got some cheap ones literally just as a backup, but that's behind another 2 sets of genuine props.

I used the carbon ones. Once. Unless I can find a decent set of carbon props with an integrated nut, i'll steer clear. Had the nut loosen (even when it was certainly tight on the motor) and the prop went on it's own little adventure.

If it doesn't say DJI on it, don't use it.

True my friend. Maybe the question should be: is $30 the cheapest you can get for those genuine props? do you know of any other place to get them for less? Thx :D

In Australia they're about $22 and that's for two. So if I found them for $30 a set of 4, I'd be on them right away.

I'm sorry - I haven't really looked out for them that much, so your research is going to be as good as mine, I just browsed through people's experiences/opinions on here with props when mine let go.

I've been curios about what advantages the carbon fiber props would have over the stock props. I bought a p2v+ in April but being that it was the first quadcopter I've ever owned I didn't really want to tinker with it too much. I did find a great deal on Craigslist for a phantom 1.2.1 for $400 including a gopro3 and gimbal so I decided to buy that one as well and do my mods on that bird instead. I tried three types of props on it. Stock 8" props, stock 9" P2 props, and some balanced carbon fiber props I bought from ebay. So far, the phantom has performed best with the stock 9" P2 props. The flight time is around 10mins with the gopro and Chinese gimbal attached. The phantom seems to be more stable especially when descending.
Withe the CF props, the phantom does take off with a bit more snap but I find that flight characteristics are a bit more unstable especially on a fast descent. The CF props didn't really add any significant flight time either so I probably will be sticking with the stock 9inch DJI plastic props.

Unless the Carbon Fiber Props are Made and Balanced Right You will have some Jello Effect vieo, I have had 7 Different Sets of Carbon Fiber props to try out and all of them had the crap effect to my video. Toss a pair of plastic Genuine on and its gone right away, only problem the plastic ones dont take abuse. so...

Just another recommendation for Genuine P2 props. I foolishly splurged and purchased a set of Tmotor Antigravity CF props and never could tell an advantage over the original P2 props. After adding the H3-3D I thought the CF props might be an advantage with the extra weight, but I could not see a noticeable difference. I later tipped the P2 over after landing, breaking the tips on two of the CF props, so I exclusively use original P2 props now.

Haze said:
Toss a pair of plastic Genuine on and its gone right away, only problem the plastic ones dont take abuse. so...

To an extent I disagree. When carbon hit's something spinning that fast it just shatters and/or breaks easily. The plastic ones don't take abuse, but they have withstood much more than the carbon ones did, for me.

I agree that the stock props are the most reliable and versatile. I too bought some CF with the locked nut, and have seen some wonky flights with them attached. Maybe I bought them to give a better look with my all white and black P2, but the look doesnt overcome the flight performance. I eventually painted the stock in some black and have the look and performance I was looking for.... :D

I bought a couple of sets of spare props off Ebay. The props are substantially similar to the OEM props in terms of material, screw, flexibility and general shape. One difference I did pick up was that the curve of the prop on the leading edge at the tips of the prop are subtly different. The OEM props have a larger radius of the curve. Not a great deal but it could play a part in the copter vibrating or being unstable if OEM and other props are used on the aircraft interchangeably.

I would suggest that only full sets of OEM props are used or, if using ebay ones, only full sets of those props are used at any one time.

I would stick with the Genuine DJI Props. They are a Graupner design so I'm told and are finely tuned just for the P2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan