Prop Guards

Reaction score
Hello, got my prop guards and hesitating whether to install them or not. I usually fly outside away from obstacle but I was thinking the prop guards might be useful anyway. I have carbon fiber propellers so maybe it's unnecessary considering the added weight and potential propeller blockage. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
DJI carbon props?
If not, be careful that they are proper for the machine with having the composite hub.

I have a set of quick release guards. The forward set are red, which helps me keep track of the birds orientation at a distance. So far I haven't needed them, but I think they're cheap insurance. Neighbor two doors down got a P3P identical to mine about the same time and already broke a prop.

Reactions: Jbundy63
I have used prop guards since I got my P3P and I like them, especially when they saved me on two tip over landings.

I have the QD prop guards and that are definitely worth it. My P3 freaked out on me once so I had to land quick and in a hurry. But she wouldn't put down and was bouncing around, tipped over on to the prop guard and high tailed it across the street hit a curb and flipped I t the grass upside down where she stopped. Prop guards saved her from any damage.

I don't like them; they add weight (not much albeit) and interfere with thrust. The Phantom plastic is pretty durable I've found out, and you are better off learning how to fine control your quad on landing. If you are worried about an impromptu haircut, perhaps a worthy investment. Just my $0.02

Removable Prop guards are the bomb! I feel naked when I am not flying with them...
1. they can absorb impact damage... better the guards break then your bird
2. they save you from breaking props from tilt overs... I saw a very experience pilot tilt his bird
3. Save your from hitting things... avoid curtains :)
4. may save you from injury... avoid grabbing them :)
5. helps your know orientation.

I have only but positive outcomes for prop guards... But buy the removalable ones and you may want to strength them... I am doing that...

Why dont people learn to hand catch? No more tip overs!
Prop Guards have been responsible for lots of crashes due to ring vortex and they add weight and drag.
I would only use them flying indoors or around buildings.

Wibble - a year ago, I attempted my first hand catch with my previous P2V+. I walked away from it with 6 stitches in my writing hand.

if you want my honest opinion, anyone who attempts to catch a 4 rotor spinning, "accident waiting to happen" automatic hand slicer, is foolish. .....

"learn to hand catch"???? How do you do that? Do you think that DJI would subsidize this notion and place it in a manual for us all to learn? I think not.

If I have a tip over upon landing and break a few props, I am smiling when I replace them with my uncut fingers......

Sorry to step on your post HiddenDrone510. I believe that the guards are only useful for indoor flights and outdoor flights in close quarters with hazards.

Other than that, for the photographic quality side of things, they are a nuisance and are visible in video......and, they add weight for long haul flights........

Wibble - a year ago, I attempted my first hand catch with my previous P2V+. I walked away from it with 6 stitches in my writing hand.

if you want my honest opinion, anyone who attempts to catch a 4 rotor spinning, "accident waiting to happen" automatic hand slicer, is foolish. .....

"learn to hand catch"???? How do you do that? Do you think that DJI would subsidize this notion and place it in a manual for us all to learn? I think not.

If I have a tip over upon landing and break a few props, I am smiling when I replace them with my uncut fingers......

I would say the majority of people on here hand catch. If you use some common sense when you do it there is no problem. You were one of the unlucky ones obviously!!!

I tend to have a very healthy respect for my fingers - I HATE pain and the sight of blood. Hand catching is so so easy. Maybe catch is the wrong term. Hover and hold would be better.

I'm very happy to hear that you have not yet had an accident. I assure you that the catch that sent me to the hospital for stitches was very well controlled. Or so I thought.

Right up to the split second just before I touched the landing gear, when my friend standing about 4 feet from me, inadvertently slipped on some wet rocks and in a normal reaction, reached out to me for help. When his hand touched my leg that single second, I turned quickly and my drone grabbing hand was moved out of its prior position and directly into the props.

All I am saying is that no matter how well trained or prepared you are, you cannot prepared for the unexpected. The drone was fabricated with "landing" gear, not "grabbing" gear. In up to 25km winds, with practice, one can become an expert at landing it the way it was designed to land.

Yes, they are actually only a negative, to our digital photography. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20