Prop guards...String or no string?

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have seen few vids (of errant flight patterns, some resulting in crashes) where the string tot he prop guards broke. it is hard to tell from the vids whether this was the definitive cause of the mis-flight, or whether it had nothing to do with it.

I have also seen a vid or two where the strings prevented some crashes and in one case an injury.

It seems with the not so positive method of simply tying off the string and then merely stretching it over the "barbs" on the bottom of the guards there is cause for it to come free from one of the barbs thus loosening the rest.

So, do I continue status quo with the string, remove the string or perhaps mod the string a bit.

As far as mods go I was thinking of a couple of methods.

1. In addition to the normal stringing, maybe wrap one turn around the center strut of each guard.

2. Attach a very light spring or rubber band to one end and thus keep a slight tension on the string the whole time.

3. use a zip tie circling the string and the center strut on each prop guard.

4. Filing a deeper "notch" in the barbs for a more positive grip.

Anyone? Tnx.

DBS said:
If you're flying this thing in situations where you think prop guards are necessary.... you're gonna have a bad time

Get out and get away from stuff and get rid of those **** things...

agree

pjw73nh said:
I have seen few vids (of errant flight patterns, some resulting in crashes) where the string tot he prop guards broke. it is hard to tell from the vids whether this was the definitive cause of the mis-flight, or whether it had nothing to do with it.

Anyone? Tnx.

While the string may or not have been an issue in a crash, it seems pretty clear that what IS behind many of these birds falling uncontrollably from the sky in a VRS-induced crash is the prop guards themselves. Personally, I would never recommend prop guards to anyone...not even a total newbie. If you tip over on take off or landing, you risk a prop or two. If you fall from the sky in a VRS crash, you risk the same props, the landing gear, the camera/gimbal, and the prop guards themselves. Would you rather tip over, or fall from 100'?

JMHO...

gmbn.inc said:
Take the prop guards off and throw them away. You'll have more problems with them on. They create drag and interfere with airflow from the props

I never installed my prop guards. They are still in the unopened box.

Now I feel like it would be unethical to sell them. Since so many people here have convinced me that they may lead to crashes and damage rather than prevent them.

I'm with Dirty Bird on this one. A common denominator on most VRS crashes we hear about has been prop guards.

My advice is- NO PROP GUARDS

Prop Guards Paid Off

I installed propeller guards (DJI brand) the other day and they paid off today.

A gust of wind + uneven terrain = tipover. The guards kept the P2V+ props from touching ground.

Although I have read dire warnings here about using prop guards, I had no problems flying high and maneuvering with them on.

Not sure DJI would sell them if they contributed to crashes.

Only issue is that the guards make the quadcopter too big for the backpack case I bought.

Re: Prop Guards Paid Off

Not yet, you have to tip it twice just to break even. Assuming tipping would break a pair of props and guards are about $20 and props are $10. I lost money on mine, only tipped once on 2nd flight. Took them off after about 20 no tip touch and go's.

kjopc said:
I installed propeller guards (DJI brand) the other day and they paid off today.

A gust of wind + uneven terrain = tipover. The guards kept the P2V+ props from touching ground.

Although I have read dire warnings here about using prop guards, I had no problems flying high and maneuvering with them on.

Not sure DJI would sell them if they contributed to crashes.

Only issue is that the guards make the quadcopter too big for the backpack case I bought.

The answer isn't prop guards, its a wider, longer set of landing gear. The trick is to make the stance as stable as possible without it getting into the view of the camera.

Tip over won't necessarily damage blades even on a hard surface.
Tip over is probably more likely with the additional encumbrance though. :roll:

Choose your take off spot carefully.
Any softness like springy grass is not ideal.
Use your case or even take a flat board or tray to lay down
Use max power for a couple of seconds, don't tickle it!
Landing is more difficult to choose a perfect spot, I prefer to hand catch 90% of the time.

I use to land with prop guards... too many tilts on landing.. made me believe how much the prop guards 'saved' me.. removed prop guards, catch it every time.. no issues.. no more prop guards visible in my videos, no more risk of VRS and other stabilization issues i've personally experienced and read about as well using these guards (i fully understand this is debatable).

Well I guess I got my hand slapped on this one... I appreciate all of your input. At this point I am not sure which way I am going to go with this. I have 2 flights under my belt. A few real short, low 10 ft, 30 second flights, and a full 2 batterys worth of time very close by and very low. Both with the prop guards on. So I have nothing to compare it to at this time.

As you can see from my post history, and the content of my posts themselves I am very new to the PV2+. I fly in wide open places as far from any people, structures and trees I can find. Where the prop guards have saved me is tip overs and instability on landing and take off. I really need to get used the bird before I venture out too far and too high.

While I come to this forum for research and advice and I appreciate both, I would prefer to minimize the chances of any damage while in my infancy. I am taking it slow and steady in my learning.

As I get more proficient and confident in my skills, I will take the advice and remove the guards.

Thanks for the replies.

No hand slapping intended. They sell these things like they are the beat-all of bolt-on upgrades but they appear to disrupt the airflow and cause more problems than they are worth.

Key to not tipping over on take-off and landing:
- Commitment

After CSC (motor start) let it sit there and idle for a few seconds until you are ready to take off then give it throttle and just take off, straight up and bring it into a hover at 4-5' Don't hesitate on your take off and try to correct any tip or lean, it will correct itself.

On landing, same thing. Bring it into a hover at 4-5', move over the spot that you want to land on and lower the throttle. Once you are a few inches off the ground, lower it all the way and keep it down until the motors stop.

The reason you may be finding it wants to tip is that when it is near the ground, it is moving around, you are correcting, a landing gear pad touches the ground and it tips over.

You can practice this with your prop guards on at low altitude, 4-5'
Do it a couple dozen times and you'll become confident in yourself and the craft. Then take off the guards before they crash you!!

I ordered my props before i even got my phantom. I knew of the dangers and risk. Saved me a few times when landing.
I love them!!
But I used them for training wheels, flying confined spaces, and where there could possibly be poeple and animals.
Paint the fronts red for visual aid, helping you determine what is front or back.
Take them off when you're ready.
I took mine off after 10 flights as felt more confident. It was also cumbersome to travel with.
I have been trialling these (results to come):
Thumb%20screws.jpg

And looking to purchase these quick disconnects when Atlanta hobbies gets more stock.
I believe they are 3D printed.
thumb-quickd_splash.jpg

Pointers as raised by others:
Box take off!
Learn to catch land with props first.
Always catch land with the wind blowing from behind, with an arms-reach high and the phantom in front of you. Keep it high to maintan stability and also to prevent the blades cutting your pretty face. Have it so you can see the battery status lights as this help with orientation.

A little add-on to landing. Do NOT try to hover a few inches off the ground. Your Phantom will get caught up in ground effect turbulence and begin to teeter up and down. Pick your spot a few feet above the ground, then commit to landing and reduce the throttle until she touches down. Use SMALL right-stick inputs to keep her in the same position laterally. Once down, hold the throttle fully down until the motors stop. Do NOT use a CSC to stop the motors as this sometimes burps the throttles and can cause a tip over.

Finally, if it is really windy and the Phantom is moving around a lot, hand catch. Hover right above yourself, wind at your back, reach up and grab the bottom of a landing skid with your left hand, then pull down on the throttle with your right hand until the motors stop. A controller strap around your neck comes in handy here, plus it can save you from an accidental controller drop.

AndysAdventures said:
gmbn.inc said:
Take the prop guards off and throw them away. You'll have more problems with them on. They create drag and interfere with airflow from the props

I never installed my prop guards. They are still in the unopened box.

Now I feel like it would be unethical to sell them. Since so many people here have convinced me that they may lead to crashes and damage rather than prevent them.

+1. Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20