Prop guards save Bruce from total destruction

Reaction score
Some key lessons learnt from yesterday's hard landing, sharing them in hopes this will save someone else a costly flight:

1- Remember its much slower to come down than go up! Self-evident I know, but if you're trying to fly high, or far, you've got to be aware that he can't get out of trouble as fast as he can get into it! average descent speed is 3mph I've found, coming straight down.

2- Prop guards are what saved him when he came in hard. By taking the force of the crash, they kept the engine nacelles from being bent or broken and THAT would be almost too expensive to repair for most people. So I know some people don't like them, but when your drone is coming in hot, they were the difference.

3- landing on a slope. When I saw he was not going to have enough power to land normally, I aimed him for a hilly area (a winter-time ski hill). By landing at an angle, the force of landing was only taken on one skid (which bent) and then onto the rotor guards. I don't know if this is a better option than landing in trees, but it worked for me, so I guess keep it as an option of last resort.

4- Although with the Litchi app, you can fly higher than the Transport Canada cap of 400ft AGL, if you do, don't be greedy. Chip away at goals, don't go for broke first thing. You'll only get disapointed when it goes wrong.

Bruce's built-in camera got away with relatively minor damage. The yaw axis gimble is sticky and sluggish, but the rest works in good order. I'll be taking him up for a checkup flight today to do a full function test on all systems, but lessons learnt won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Don't know if it's useful, but if I save someone the heart attack I took yesterday it'll be worth the post. I'll post photos later,

Reactions: AzDroner
Glad you had good results. My area I don't use prop guard as they are perfect hooks for all the tree and woods in my area. These trees here are 120-135 ft tall. Way to high for an ole guy to be climbing to unhook a prop guard from a limb.

Reactions: mad in nc
did the prop guard put BRUCE into VRS on the way down?
..... come on, just had to ask

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

The vortex ring state, also known as settling with power, is a dangerous condition that may arise in helicopter flight, when a vortex ring system engulfs the rotor causing severe loss of lift. The FAA sees these terms as the same thing, whereas Transport Canada sees them as two different phenomena.[1]

Essentially, the helicopter descends into its own downwash. When the condition arises, increasing the rotor power merely feeds the vortex motion without generating additional lift.[2][3] This condition also occurs with tiltrotors, and was responsible for an accident involving a V-22 Osprey. Vortex ring state caused the loss of a heavily modified MH-60 helicopter during Operation Neptune Spear, the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. [4]

did the prop guard put BRUCE into VRS on the way down?
..... come on, just had to ask

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

The vortex ring state, also known as settling with power, is a dangerous condition that may arise in helicopter flight, when a vortex ring system engulfs the rotor causing severe loss of lift. The FAA sees these terms as the same thing, whereas Transport Canada sees them as two different phenomena.[1]

Essentially, the helicopter descends into its own downwash. When the condition arises, increasing the rotor power merely feeds the vortex motion without generating additional lift.[2][3] This condition also occurs with tiltrotors, and was responsible for an accident involving a V-22 Osprey. Vortex ring state caused the loss of a heavily modified MH-60 helicopter during Operation Neptune Spear, the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. [4]

WE GOT BIN LADEN?!!

Reactions: NatchezPrinter
So after a few test flights post-crash, I've got the following issue:

one in five times, the camera will connect and display the FPV. I've tried Litchi and the stock Vision apps. Same issue. The vertical arm appears to be compressed and is grinding, preventing movement at all, but the two other gimbals work normally. The controller inputs to rotate the camera up and down work fine, but when I tap to adjust the camera or take picture/video, it says the camera is not connected.

I've noticed the black strip that goes from the stock camera to the inside, which I believe is the way it communicates the info from the lense. Nothing appears damaged. So here's the crux of the issue guys:

Has anybody ever had a hard landing and had similar issues with a camera? were they fixable?

And if not, what do I need to install a GoPro Hero 3 H3-3D gimbal, as far as parts and installation?

Help me drone buddies, you're my only hope.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20