Prop "guards" Or Vortex ring state enhancers?

Reaction score
I've only flown 5 times now, swore i wouldn't until prop guards were on , couldn't wait, then i see they probably cause a lot of crashes, now i own 2 sets one of which DJI sells Why? if i get a situation where i'm flying inside i might use them, But Why would DJI sell them with out multiple warnings , ; high winds, too fast of descent, Yadda?? I would kinda like to see a wind tunnel- smoke test , of the aircraft flying with and without.

They provide protection when working in close spaces and can give new pilots some sense of security.
When operating outside or in open spaces they can reduce performance but this should be expected when adding weight and surface area to an aircraft.
VRS has been addressed by motor canting (tilt) and speed reductions.

The one warning they do/did provide was in reference to the fasteners used. The damaging of motors [coils] when the longer screws are used without the guards.

FZ! YES, not much of a warning, i've also seen the damage occurred (cracks) in the fuselage, from over tightening those screws and or the stress produced from the leverage the guards impart to the motor arms,...i'll be leaving them off until absolutely "necessary" it is an aircraft, so i'll be keeping it streamlined & clean Thanks
"without deviation progress is Not possible!" Frank Zappa

I've only flown 5 times now, swore i wouldn't until prop guards were on , couldn't wait, then i see they probably cause a lot of crashes, now i own 2 sets one of which DJI sells Why? if i get a situation where i'm flying inside i might use them, But Why would DJI sell them with out multiple warnings , ; high winds, too fast of descent, Yadda?? I would kinda like to see a wind tunnel- smoke test , of the aircraft flying with and without.
I don't see the need for any of these warning. High wind? When I used them back when first flying and flew in high winds a few times and I never had an issue. Like the other poster said, VRS while descending is no longer an issue with the Phantom 3's. If anything I'm sure they protected my props a few times when it tipped on some of those first few landings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1