PROP GUARDS OR NO

Reaction score
I ordered the ABOOM Prop Guards from Amazon. When I put them on today, I find out the little locks on them do not function. I can pull slightly on the prop guard and it comes off easily. Now my thoughts are: "Do I really need this extra weight?" The only time I have ever damaged props is around the house flying in close to the house or inside. I'm thinking maybe I'll just return them. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
61pCTlZ6VyL._SL1317_.jpg

Attachments

• 61pCTlZ6VyL._SL1317_.jpg
    61pCTlZ6VyL._SL1317_.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 850
Now my thoughts are: "Do I really need this extra weight?"
Do you also need the extra wind resistance, the sail area and those things getting in frame all the time?
You'll always find some people that like prop guards because they make them feel "safer"

Thanks Meta4. I have to agree with you. I think I regretted ordering them before I even received them. I wasn't thinking about the extra wind resistance, but you're right there too. Oh, and BBarret, the only time I broke a prop was due to the Phantom 2 vision firmware glitch, of course that could never happen to an ace like yourself, right?

I am not a believer in using prop guards. They seem to cause more problems then they solve. Maybe if you were flying inside.

Reactions: henick
Thanks Modzilla, I'm starting to think they're more of a ball and chain. Already boxed them up to send back.

Didn't mean to get you all sensitive. Just saying the props are the cheapest part of the drone. Usually if you hit a tree or house and break a prop, other more expensive things are gonna break also. Usually from the fall back to earth. Personally I would be scared to fly my p3p inside my house.

Yes, the props are are cheap, but in my case I was hovering 100' above trees taking a photo when the firm ware went haywire, completely lost connection, and the P2V drone began slowly descending on it's own. I had no control at all. It would have safely lowered to ground the way it was going, but the props contacted a tree limb and sent it into the ground because 2 props broke on one side. The point I was trying to make is that kind of thing is beyond the pilot's control, not pilot error.

I ordered the ABOOM Prop Guards from Amazon. When I put them on today, I find out the little locks on them do not function. I can pull slightly on the prop guard and it comes off easily. Now my thoughts are: "Do I really need this extra weight?" The only time I have ever damaged props is around the house flying in close to the house or inside. I'm thinking maybe I'll just return them. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
61pCTlZ6VyL._SL1317_.jpg
I bought prop guards when I ordered my P3P. They are still in the box and I'm not planning to install them now. Knock on wood.... I have not damaged any props so far!

I bought prop guards when I ordered my P3P. They are still in the box and I'm not planning to install them now. Knock on wood.... I have not damaged any props so far!
DJI has greatly improved the firm ware since my incident. Chances of it happening with the current firm ware are much less in my opinion. I will probably use the gimbal guard though.

I use my guards when flying in wooded areas. Other than that they stay in my case.

When I bought my phantom I did not buy them and went t through a bunch of blades just figuring out how to fly and having fun with it hit a couple of trees wrapped myself into a flag maneuvering on my porch crashed a few times but to be honest it was because the way I was flying testing the limits seeing what she was capable of so I purchased the prop guards and I've been fine with it but I'm in the city. But recently I've been taking them off when I'm filming because like they said it does get in the way if you fly safe and responsible you should be ok OK I hold onto them anyway but what a wino on the rookie I've only had it a few months check out my YouTube channel Tim Irvin 51 I've got some cool footage at least I like to think so

I say no to prop guards... I used them with my Phantom 1 and 2 and the only time I broke both props and prop guards was when landing on the ground. I soon there-after learned to hand-catch (In GPS mode) rather than to attempt a ground landing where I would every now and then break props and prop guards when the Phantom tipped over. Prop guards are actually not very strong and break easily resulting in broken props as well.. With my P3P I've always hand-caught for landings, again in GPS mode for safety, and have never broken a prop.

Other benefits for not using prop guards are less weight the Phantom has to carry (longer flight time) and less aerodynamic interference (longer flight time)...

My two cents ...

I have prop guards. And I mainly use them to make it easier to see the drone, front, back. I have hard time seeing the lights on sunny days but the prop guards help. I fly mainly by the video but when it gets close I like to bring it in. Prop guards make it easier to tell. When I get better, i'll remove. They do get in the video sometimes but just have to remind myself to keep the camera tilted down a little when filming.

I say no to prop guards... I used them with my Phantom 1 and 2 and the only time I broke both props and prop guards was when landing on the ground. I soon there-after learned to hand-catch (In GPS mode) rather than to attempt a ground landing where I would every now and then break props and prop guards when the Phantom tipped over. Prop guards are actually not very strong and break easily resulting in broken props as well.. With my P3P I've always hand-caught for landings, again in GPS mode for safety, and have never broken a prop.

Other benefits for not using prop guards are less weight the Phantom has to carry (longer flight time) and less aerodynamic interference (longer flight time)...

My two cents ...
Yeah I hear you I totally agree I like to mess around my dog sometimes when I tap it against a glass window I just have fun with it

IMO, prop guards are a good idea if you are a beginner AND you are flying where there is a risk you will bump into things. Or if you're flying indoors.

There is also an advantage in that they make your aircraft bigger and easier to see at a distance. In this way, if you're strictly following FAA's VLOS guideline, you will be able to achieve great distance than you would otherwise.

Once you're an intermediate pilot, you're probably better off without them in the long run.

If you get them, I wouldn't buy these. I'd get the ones that have two motor mount bolts, not four, because otherwise every time you want to pop the lid on your aircraft, you have to remove all four of your motor mount bolts on all four of your motors.

Once you become intermediate, it's probably best to remove the guards and mounts. The mounts add weight and the guards can possibly exasperate VRS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 66Fury and JTC
I love mine. Broken props mid flight means I have no contol. If I hit a building or tree, the prop guard protects my props - therefore, I have better chance of landing it safer. Plus, gives me better visibility.

There is also an advantage in that they make your aircraft bigger and easier to see at a distance. In this way, if you're strictly following FAA's VLOS guideline, you will be able to achieve great distance than you would otherwise.

With that thinking I could hang a 1 x 10ft silk banner off mine and see it 2000ft away LOL

There is nothing wrong with using prop guards. I have three Phantoms. Phantom with guards fly just fine. Only drawback is added weight and wind resistance. Phantoms are not racing machines. They are easier to see with guards and do add a bit of protection in a hit. They are good for new flyers. I still have guards on one of my three. Doesn't bother me at all. So guys, stop condemning people that use them. I can fly with or without. Makes no big difference to me. I am a little tired of the condescending remarks for the ones that do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31