Prop Guards?? for Phantom 3 Advanced

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I'm a first time quad copter (drone owner). I'm not sure if I should purchase prop guards or not! Some say no and some say yes.

Should I buy prop guards?

What is the best prop guards?

Thanks Guys

Hate to say it, but you already answered your questions. Some say yes, some say no.

I am a first time flier and opted for no, I have not seen anything that convinced me there is a benefit.

Reactions: Meta4 and td619
Reactions: td619
I have three Phantoms. Prop guards on first one. They will protect your props from tip overs, and smacking into stuff. For a newb flyer...good idea. I have not seen a big difference in flight between one with guards and one without. But then again, I don't fly the quad like a stunt plane which I have. It's a stable flying platform for me. My only complaint with them is that they do add more weight and finding a case to hold the quad with guards on is more of a problem. I'm sure the quick release guards weigh even more. The guards make the quad easier to see. Don't let people tell you how bad they are. Some always have something to say.

I promptly bought the clip on/clip off prop guards when I got my UAV. They still look really nice in the packaging at the house too. I guess if I at some point intend to fly where I "might" run into obstacles I will put them on. For now, I see no rush.

I bought them right away also and first flight with them on I crashed my quad. I think it threw off the balance or maybe I didn't get the motors back on the right away. Anyway, it was a valuable lesson to learn!

I bought them right away also and first flight with them on I crashed my quad. I think it threw off the balance or maybe I didn't get the motors back on the right away. Anyway, it was a valuable lesson to learn!
Not sure I follow. What lesson did you learn? The guards don't put anything off balance. What's the deal with motors?

Not sure I follow. What lesson did you learn? The guards don't put anything off balance. What's the deal with motors?
You have to unscrew the screws underneath the motors so the motors come loose. Then put the snap on prop guards on and screw it back together. The first time I flew the bird after doing this it went straight up and started flying sideways. I couldn't control it so it kept going some distance and eventually hit a power line. I was lucky to even find it in tall grass but the shell was cracked open pretty good. I had to purchase another camera/drone.

I was at a softball field near a lot of autos and the field has lights so maybe it picked up some interference or something but I still blame it on me improperly installing the snap on prop guards.

You have to unscrew the screws underneath the motors so the motors come loose. Then put the snap on prop guards on and screw it back together. The first time I flew the bird after doing this it went straight up and started flying sideways. I couldn't control it so it kept going some distance and eventually hit a power line. I was lucky to even find it in tall grass but the shell was cracked open pretty good. I had to purchase another camera/drone.

I was at a softball field near a lot of autos and the field has lights so maybe it picked up some interference or something but I still blame it on me improperly installing the snap on prop guards.
The prop guards didn't make this happen.

The prop guards didn't make this happen.
I'm not saying the prop guards made it happen but you do have to mess with the prop motors and I think maybe I didn't get them seated properly after installing the prop guards.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4