Prop Guard string

Reaction score
My question is with the removal Prop Guard for my drone....they come with a string.....once you use the string how do reuse it if its cut to size ....what is a good idea for this problem and is it necessary to use the string at all?.....you can tell i`m a newbie(smile)

The general consensus on this forum seems to regard prop guards as "training wheels", something to remove as soon as possible once you have gained a modicum of confidence in your fling skills. With them, the Phantom seems to be more prone to wind buffeting and to instability during descent. I wouldn't use strings at all. I did just once, a string broke, got wrapped around a motor, caused the motor to stop and the Phantom to crash.

If I used prop guards (I don't) and wanted to replace the string, I'd use dental floss. The minty fresh kind.

StorminD said:
My question is with the removal Prop Guard for my drone....they come with a string.....once you use the string how do reuse it if its cut to size ....what is a good idea for this problem and is it necessary to use the string at all?.....you can tell i`m a newbie(smile)

On a side note, IF you have already installed your prop guards...
do not reuse the longer screws they came with when you remove them. The extra length will cause damage to the motors when used without the guards.

Hopefully you saved the originals.

Great Pumpkin said:
The general consensus on this forum seems to regard prop guards as "training wheels", something to remove as soon as possible once you have gained a modicum of confidence in your fling skills. With them, the Phantom seems to be more prone to wind buffeting and to instability during descent. I wouldn't use strings at all. I did just once, a string broke, got wrapped around a motor, caused the motor to stop and the Phantom to crash.

I really don't get prop guards at all.

Phantoms are not meant to be flown indoors, so that negates about 90% of the purpose of using prop guards in the first place (flying near walls). In the outdoors, prop guards are excellent wind-catchers and that increases risk of a crash or errant flight characteristics. Plus, the most common obstacle outdoors are trees and prop guards with a string make it that much easier to get snagged in branches!

If you really want to irritate me, then just post a love poem to prop guards and I guarantee my blood pressure will spike over 200 systolic! :oops:

Since no one answered the poster and just complained about guards, I decided to give an answer. If you look at the picture below, you will notice the two "spikes" of plastic sticking up. With your guards in place, if you run the string through the holes tight and tie the ends at one of the holes, you then can pull the string over one of these "spikes" to tighten it even more. That way makes it less difficult to take them off or put them back on.
Pay attention on what was stated about the long screws. VERY important.
As to good or bad that is up to you. Welcome to Phantom Pilots.

Attachments

• 100_0160.JPG
    100_0160.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 646
I use prop guards without string, and the never come off, I wont risk a burnt ESC caused by tip over, and it can happened to even the best pilot. ;)

"thanx" for the advice....i have the new prop guards i replace all the screws so i cant make a mistake with longer or shorter screws....the guards just slide and lock on.

BWJ said:
I use prop guards without string, and the never come off, I wont risk a burnt ESC caused by tip over, and it can happened to even the best pilot. ;)

99% of Phantom plots practice hand-catching so tip overs are irrelevant.

Happyflyer said:
Since no one answered the poster ...

I was serious about using dental floss.

Monte55 said:
Just curious where you get your percentage rates from. What is your source?

99% of statistics that contain the figure `99%' are made up.

Monte55 said:

I've wondered if people hand catch because they never got enough practice landing or do you think there is an inherent Phantom problem that can't be overcome. I carry a flat landing surface with me and that works. If there is ground wind, I might hand catch.

This begs the question if you use FPV goggles, do you remove them to land? I don't have them, but my guess is yes!

Way OT, so I'll shut up!

Clipper707 said:
Monte55 said:

99% of statistics that contain the figure `99%' are made up.

As they say on Family Feud: "Good Answer!"

Clipper707 said:
Happyflyer said:

I took it that way! It is much better than string. I don't recommend the waxed kind as the knots pull apart easier.

I carry a package of dental floss in my car. In the military we used if for everything from repairs to trip wire. Good stuff, like duct tape and hot glue sticks.

I wasn't serious about the minty fresh aspect of it, though.

Clipper707 said:
Happyflyer said:

Yes, that is OK, but it was his question: "once you use the string how do reuse it if its cut to size" that needed to be answered.
As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words."
And if he wants to use the floss, fine.

Happyflyer said:
Yes, that is OK, but it was his question: "once you use the string how do reuse it if its cut to size" that needed to be answered

Yes, you're right. No alternative suggestions should have been given. My apologies.

I also use prop guards and really see nothing wrong with them. Two others in our RC club also use them and they both are trainers on RC planes. I live in the city and there really isn't that much open land. Maybe in time I will remove them but I haven't see one thing wrong with how it flys or lands with them on. I also have string on mine. Upon each flight I check the string.

Clipper707 said:
Happyflyer said:
Yes, that is OK, but it was his question: "once you use the string how do reuse it if its cut to size" that needed to be answered

Yes, you're right. No alternative suggestions should have been given. My apologies.
Not really. The floss was an interesting alternative. Something thin and strong for a replacement. I know I will keep it in mind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31