Prop guard screw mix up.

Reaction score
Literally, I screwed up. I got a set of detachable prop guards from SSE for my P3P. There were no directions. I figured out how they go on and opened a bag of screws and put a couple in. I realized there were way too many in the two bags, so I double checked them. One bag was for the P 2 and the other for the P3. Of course I was using the P2 ones. So I removed them and put in the screws from the P3 bag. When I get all done, I find one extra screw on the table. I count the P2 bag and it's one short. So, not knowing which bag the extra is out of, now I've got to start over to make sure I used all of the right screws. I'm aware that the wrong length screw, can damage the motors. My research confirmed that the P2 screws are longer than the P3, so I figure I'll take out each one and match it to one I know is from the P2 bag. Well, as far as I can determine visually, is that if they're different lengths, it's about a hair of being the same. So now I'm trying to figure out a foolproof (emphasis on fool) method to make sure I sort this out correctly before I power the bird up with the guards on.

If they both fit, they both have the same thread size. See if any screw has more or fewer threads. If one has more it would be a P2 based on your "research" and logic. Just my "advice" others may "advise" you differently.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I took several screws from each bag, and held them together, with the heads opposite each other. All the ones I tried were the same length. Maybe all of the screws are the same, just one batch was labeled wrong. So, which ones are they for? Then I compared the original screws with the portion that extends out of the bracket. It appears that that length is pretty much the same, but probably not foolproof. So far, I haven't been able to find information on exactly what the difference is between the P2 and P3 screws, outside of the P2 are longer...but no specs on how much longer.

My advice to you, assuming you're not doing most of your flying indoors, is to loose the prop guards and stay with the stock screws.

Prop guards change everything outdoors, and not for the better.

Reactions: davidzimagery
Literally, I screwed up. I got a set of detachable prop guards from SSE for my P3P. There were no directions. I figured out how they go on and opened a bag of screws and put a couple in. I realized there were way too many in the two bags, so I double checked them. One bag was for the P 2 and the other for the P3. Of course I was using the P2 ones. So I removed them and put in the screws from the P3 bag. When I get all done, I find one extra screw on the table. I count the P2 bag and it's one short. So, not knowing which bag the extra is out of, now I've got to start over to make sure I used all of the right screws. I'm aware that the wrong length screw, can damage the motors. My research confirmed that the P2 screws are longer than the P3, so I figure I'll take out each one and match it to one I know is from the P2 bag. Well, as far as I can determine visually, is that if they're different lengths, it's about a hair of being the same. So now I'm trying to figure out a foolproof (emphasis on fool) method to make sure I sort this out correctly before I power the bird up with the guards on.

I was just checking my screws for you and the shorter 10mm ones are for the p3 and the longer 13mm for p2 hope this helps

I hear what you're saying mikesmiley. I've got two P3Ps, so I thought I'd put guards on one for "dangerous" flying. They are the detachable type, so most of the time I'd have them off. For now I'll just put them on the shelf.
Thanks for that info Mozzie67 Mine didn't come with any cardboard in the sealed package. I'll check the box they came in again. It's obvious that these two sets of screws are not 3 mm different. At least now I can measure the ones I have and make sure they're the shorter ones.

I hear what you're saying mikesmiley. I've got two P3Ps, so I thought I'd put guards on one for "dangerous" flying. They are the detachable type, so most of the time I'd have them off. For now I'll just put them on the shelf.
Thanks for that info Mozzie67 Mine didn't come with any cardboard in the sealed package. I'll check the box they came in again. It's obvious that these two sets of screws are not 3 mm different. At least now I can measure the ones I have and make sure they're the shorter ones.
The removable guards I purchased were well instructed and had 2 packets of screws p3 & p2..these guards maybe slightly different to yours but we're definitely the smaller screws...
I use the guards all the time extra insurance while landing and the front guards are red while the rear are black and the colour difference helps me in my orientation of the quad..

Mine are orange with a white mounting bracket that mounts to the motor screws. I measured the screws in both zip bags. They are all 11 mm, so the labeling is wrong on one bag. Like I mentioned above, I compared the length of the regular screws with what extends out of the mounting brackets and the useable amount of threads appear to be very close to the same.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic