Prop Guard - Prop Clearance ?

Reaction score
Can anyone who uses Prop Guards please tell me how close their props come to the prop guard without issues?

I really wanted to use these for certain situations, but the props come dangerously close to hitting the guards.

How close is TOO CLOSE ?

I ended up removing mine before I dared fly it.

i bought a set, havent installed them yet, but have a look at the clearance between the props and the arms, it looks close, but 5mm is lots of clearance in an engineers world. if your guards are dji, all should be good .

I reckon mine only give me 2.5mm clearance.

They are not DJI either. Ebay jobbies. Might leave them in the sock drawer.

If you did have a tip over or collision with them on, the prop would strike the guard anyway by the looks of it.

Flexing in flight would be the bigger concern for me

Yet it seems lots of people are using them.?

I reckon mine only give me 2.5mm clearance.

They are not DJI either. Ebay jobbies. Might leave them in the sock drawer.

If you did have a tip over or collision with them on, the prop would strike the guard anyway by the looks of it.

Flexing in flight would be the bigger concern for me

Yet it seems lots of people are using them.?
2.5mm seems a bit close. Back when I had a set if I remember it was a least 5mm, and maybe a bit more.

I have some on the way and have decided they are staying in the drawer... even before they get here. I read too much AFTER I ordered them.

It's not even so much the clearance as it is I've decided I don't want to mess with the screws under the motors for fear of creating my own stress cracks, since the birds seem susceptible to that on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have some on the way and have decided they are staying in the drawer... even before they get here. I read too much AFTER I ordered them.

It's not even so much the clearance as it is I've decided I don't want to mess with the screws under the motors for fear of creating my own stress cracks, since the birds seem susceptible to that on their own.

I wish now that I hadn't buggered around even fitting the retainer things.

Removing the bolts from the motors is a pain.

I just hope I got them all back as they came out and with no stripped threads or other issues.

I tried not to over tighten them. Just a smidgeon past 'snug'.

Reactions: jwmcgrath

If you are getting the kind that are removable and the clip stays on the bottom side of the motor. Those I've read actually strength in that area in other words be beef the area up in case of impact to the ground let's say. I took mine off well over a year ago and to this day I still have the base clips of the guards on mine.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jwmcgrath

I just hope I got them all back as they came out and with no stripped threads or other issues.

Read my post number 8 before you go through the trouble.

If you are getting the kind that are removable and the clip stays on the bottom side of the motor. Those I've read actually strength in that area in other words be beef the area up in case of impact to the ground let's say. I took mine off well over a year ago and to this day I still have the base clips of the guards on mine.

I did buy that kind... thanks for the reminder, because I'd actually looked into the reinforcing plates too. I guess these would serve the same purpose.

So you put the plates on but don't use the guards? What made you decide to stop using them?

Yes... exactly that. Just tight enough, not too tight... Loctite or no Loctite, and don't use the wrong screws or you're going up into the motors.

And this is all on the off chance that MAYBE the guards save your $4 props. (Actually I was thinking that they might help in a close encounter with a tree)... but still. That's a lot of "IF".

I did buy that kind... thanks for the reminder, because I'd actually looked into the reinforcing plates too. I guess these would serve the same purpose.

So you put the plates on but don't use the guards? What made you decide to stop using them?

I did use the guards at first, on every flight for the first few months. My thought was to help on tip overs when landing, not because of trees or buildings. I stop using them because of two things. I learned how to hand catch when needed (uneven ground), and got a set of leg extensions which help greatly with landing, either on uneven ground or a semi-hard landing. I left the clips on for extra strength, and in case I ever did want to use them again.

Last edited:
Yes... exactly that. Just tight enough, not too tight... Loctite or no Loctite, and don't use the wrong screws or you're going up into the motors.

And this is all on the off chance that MAYBE the guards save your $4 props. (Actually I was thinking that they might help in a close encounter with a tree)... but still. That's a lot of "IF".

I have read in a few threads not to use Loctite on the Phantom, ever.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I might put the holders back on if they help strengthen the arms. I can see how that would be beneficial.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers