Prop came off

Reaction score
I saw in one of the post where the fellow thought one of his props came off. I have a phantom 3 standard use the props that came with it. How do you keep a prop from coming off. It looks like to me with the way they go on they wouldn't come off but I don't know. Can anybody comment on this. Thanks

How do you keep a prop from coming off. It looks like to me with the way they go on they wouldn't come off but I don't know. Can anybody comment on this.
About the only thing you can do is make sure they are tightened before every flight. It is quite possible for them to loosen, especially so when braking at high speed, due to the very fast slow down of the motors which essentally loosens them somewhat. If they are not fully tightened, then they will fly off.

Reactions: LarBear360
I saw in one of the post where the fellow thought one of his props came off. I have a phantom 3 standard use the props that came with it. How do you keep a prop from coming off. It looks like to me with the way they go on they wouldn't come off but I don't know. Can anybody comment on this. Thanks
The key to avoiding prop failure is be sure they are installed correctly using the color coded dots. Black on Black, Silver on Silver. Don't over-tighten or you could fracture the plastic. The P3S ships with a tightening tool. Inspect each prop before flying.

I'v heard of a prop breaking in air, but not coming unscrewed.

I'v heard of a prop breaking in air, but not coming unscrewed.
Coming unscrewed has happened numerous times. They both exhibit the same signal responses in the motor data files ( When you can get them ) and the only way to tell the difference is by looking at the motor hub, which would be obvious.

Reactions: sar104 and Oso

As described by @Fly Dawg, when the motor is applying torque to keep the props spinning under load (air drag) then the props are essentially self-tightening. But, if that torque is removed suddenly, the angular momentum of the spinning prop can lead to the motor acting as a brake, at which point the torque on the prop thread is temporarily reversed sufficiently that an inadequately tightened prop can spin off.

The key to avoiding prop failure is be sure they are installed correctly using the color coded dots. Black on Black, Silver on Silver. Don't over-tighten or you could fracture the plastic. The P3S ships with a tightening tool. Inspect each prop before flying.
That's actually a prop loosening tool and is for removing stuck props.
The hub material in the prop is relatively soft and over-tightening is to be avoided as it can damage the threads that hold the props on.

Reactions: sar104
"Hand Tight" can differ between individuals and their prospective of the definition. It's too bad they ( Meaning DJI ) do not provide an installation torque value. That could easily be done. Granted probably unnecessary, other than peace of mind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj