Prop Balancing

Reaction score
Hey folks.
Is it ok the balance props with scotch tape? And if it is, do you put the tape on top or the bottom of the prop?

I bought a balancer and balanced mine with tape but was just thinking that may not be the best way.

Thx

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Prop Balancing

edunwody said:
Hey folks.
Is it ok the balance props with scotch tape? And if it is, do you put the tape on top or the bottom of the prop?

I bought a balancer and balanced mine with tape but was just thinking that may not be the best way.

perfectly fine, and quite commonly done, placing the tape on the bottom of the prop.

Thanks for the prompt reply ;-)

QuadHopper said:
Tape can fall off, and will fall off over time.

I balance my props either by sanding the heavy end, or by applying clear nail polish to the light side.
The nail polish is not going to fall off.
Thanks. I need to get some sand paper was just trying to do a temp. Nail Polish is thought.

Thx

QuadHopper said:
Tape can fall off, and will fall off over time.

I balance my props either by sanding the heavy end, or by applying clear nail polish to the light side.
The nail polish is not going to fall off.

Nah,.I've had scotch tape hold up pretty well.

Sanding (along the bottom) to remove, and nail polish to add work well too, and are more permanent.

I actually use thick AC glue with activator to do instant alterations to my props and hubs.

I use fingernail polish and sanding as well.

It's funny - I use scotch tape to hold tails onto fuselages (planes), but whenever I tried to balance a prop with it, it just wouldn't last in the long run. I guess more turbulance and friction against the props than there is against the tail of a plane? Or maybe I just bought bottom shelf tape...

Hi All,I have been balancing RC heli blades for a long time.I always use high quality electrical tape(3M).Also,I have always wrapped the tape around the leading edge of the blade.This keeps air from getting under,and pulling up the tape.My Phantom is done the same way,and I have nearly perfect video with the stock go pro mount.Many ways to skin a cat,but this is my method.Later,JK

i use 3 different grit sandpaper. 400g to remove if really unbalanced, then fine tuning with 600 then 1200. After doing it a few times you get to understand where to sand. Always sand the bottom side. This way you are not adding chunks of tape to your props. If you do tape, tape slightly over the leading edge of the prop to avoid it coming off. Taping is much faster than the sanding method, just depends on how much time you can set aside.

In general the scotch tape should work fine but it is not the most durable one. In hot weather, the lower quality tape may shift or even come off because the glue starts to melt. If the blades are off so much so that you have to use a large piece of tape, say over 30% of the blade, then you want to make sure that the tape has no bubbles underneath. Or you can go for the thicker tapes.
As for where to stick the tape on the blades, I prefer to use narrow width with the length that is long enough to wrap "around" both top and bottom of the blade, starting from the leading edge then go on the TOP to the trailing edge and come back UNDER the blade until it overlap the beginning on the TOP somewhere. This way you have a close loop of tape with the end facing away from the moving air and since it is thin and long, you are disturbing the air foil profile as less as possible.

I don't sand off or remove the material from the heavy side of the thin blades but build up the weight on the lighter side, either by brush on paint or spray paint and let dry and check the balance again.

New after market carbon fiber props for the Phantom came pretty close to perfectly balanced. I bought several sets and most of them 3 out of 4 needed no balancing at all while the others only needed a few strokes of sanding.

Reactions: Tomlee

tanasit said:
New after market carbon fiber props for the Phantom came pretty close to perfectly balanced.

i was wondering where you purchased these carbon props and what balancer do any of you recommend?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20