Prop Balancing? is it necessary?

Reaction score
I read somewhere on this forum that props for the P3 (any version?) should be balanced. I have never balanced for my P2V+ and no problems. I Assume that new props that came with the P3A I recently purchased are ready to go. I would think that if you were to crash then would be a good idea to inspect for damage and test for balance. How should one go about balancing them?

This video shows how to balance Inspire 1 props, but it applied to balancing any type of props.

If you want a good prop balancer, check out the SpeedyTM prop balancer. I use it to balance all of my props.

Last edited:
I've never had a completely balanced set of props. Therefore, I always check them.

Reactions: bobmyers
Nice! thx. But is it necessary to check brand new ones?! I would think they are "perfect" having never been used.
Even slight vibrations caused by unbalanced props is not good for electronic components, especially on solder joints. Always check the balance on new props.

Nice! thx. But is it necessary to check brand new ones?! I would think they are "perfect" having never been used.

I used to think the same when I was flying RC planes until I was told to balance even new props, what a difference I found, it flew quieter/smoother, no more problems with jello on my videos, I must have bought around 50-70 props in the last 10 years and only a very small percent were passable so I suggest you balance all your props, new or old

ok, and thx again for your expertise and quick responses all! Just flew the P3A for first time a moment ago and all is well. Strange though I did not have 2.7K setting available before this and today i have it? I had refused updates up to this point, wondering if somehow it has done and auto update to the FW?!

ok, and thx again for your expertise and quick responses all! Just flew the P3A for first time a moment ago and all is well. Strange though I did not have 2.7K setting available before this and today i have it? I had refused updates up to this point, wondering if somehow it has done and auto update to the FW?!
Haa haaa, now the 2.7k video setting option is gone!? weird! Only thing i did is swap out the battery. Oh yeah i turned off wifi before starting anything up when i flew (turned off wifi 1st, then started craft, then RC then DJI GO app.)

You can get Phantom prop balance rods for around $10 shipped on eBay. Myself, I use an upside down drinking glass to lay the rod on.

One thing I really appreciate learning from the guru’s around here is to use Scotch tape for balance weight.

While it probably doesn’t matter as much on well stabilized Gimbal equipped Phantoms as it did when early pilots used those fixed GoPro mounts, checking/correcting prop balance is so simple and easy, why not?

[QUOTE="Ti22, post: 555700, member: 25581 . Myself, I use an upside down drinking glass to lay the rod on.
One thing I really appreciate learning from the guru’s around here is to use Scotch tape for balance weight.
, checking/correcting prop balance is so simple and easy, why not?[/QUOTE]

+1
I use electricians 1/2" tape, usually a very small piece and place it on the underside where it balances the prop, white on white props and black on black props, don't show that way, I know some guys sand the underside of the heavy side of props but my thoughts are that props are thin enough anyway why make them thinner

Haa haaa, now the 2.7k video setting option is gone!? weird! Only thing i did is swap out the battery. Oh yeah i turned off wifi before starting anything up when i flew (turned off wifi 1st, then started craft, then RC then DJI GO app.)
You should turn the RC on first, then the P3, then launch the app after they are paired..

Anyone not balancing their props is begging for cracks. And Im willing to bet that the vast majority that DO have cracks don't balance, but are unwilling to man up and admit it. Its near impossible to mass produce anything and not have variations. When that slight variation is spinning at thousands of RPM there WILL be damaging effects.

Balanced props - unlimited damage free flights
Unbalanced - complaints about poor manufacturing and cracks

Pretty simple

I just got a set of the Carbon Reinforced props. 1st prop perfect. The other 3 were well off as I had to balance the blades and the hubs.

Anyone not balancing their props is begging for cracks. And Im willing to bet that the vast majority that DO have cracks don't balance, but are unwilling to man up and admit it. Its near impossible to mass produce anything and not have variations. When that slight variation is spinning at thousands of RPM there WILL be damaging effects.

Balanced props - unlimited damage free flights
Unbalanced - complaints about poor manufacturing and cracks

Pretty simple
good advice, thx!

Reactions: III% Streve
I have 99 flights with the original props. Haven't balanced and no cracks.

Nothing to be proud of! Thats like saying you never changed the oil in your car and it runs fine.

Even with infinitesimally "balanced" props there will be vibration. I don't have jello, no stress cracks, so I'm not going to be voodoo messing with it. That said, I'll probably do a checkup after flight 100.

Interesting video on not balancing.

Reactions: Phil56
"Jello" is cause by improper camera settings. Even the worst props flying can have their "jello" effect removed.

Crappy untested "prop balancers" of varying quality, or DJI factory?

DJI props are already perfect or very close to perfect. You might be screwing them up more than helping when you start messing around on all these random prop balancers from random dudes and small companies who think they can make a buck by selling you a $30 balancing rod. Unlike a widget that you see has a crack in it so you return it to the seller, with prop balancers it is hard to tell how accurate they are.

In theory, you should balance all props and balance them to the motor as well. In practice, when it comes to Phantoms and Inspires, chances are much higher that instead of helping you will be screwing things up.

I've never had a completely balanced set of props. Therefore, I always check them.

Do you use the Du-Bro and if so do you have to buy the balancing shaft separately? It is not clear from the Amazon website. If that's the case was looking at the Speedy Prop Balance Rod.

Reactions: niteliter

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1