Proof DJI is lying to customers about H3-3D faults

Reaction score
So DJI says it is normal & B&H photography say it's not normal and to return it to them for a new unit.

Attachments

• DJI Reply 1.jpg
    DJI Reply 1.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 1,863
Re: Official DJI response to H3-3D twitch/yaw issue

This issue makes me wish I had bought it from a reputable place like B&H. I got it from <(redacted)> and now I am stuck. I certainly hope there will be a fix for it at some point...

Re: Official DJI response to H3-3D twitch/yaw issue

Please clarify or can you upload a short video of the twitch? I was watching my FPV monitor today during a quick test flight and noticed my gimbal was doing what looked like a preflight gimbal dance in the air. I experienced an up, down, up, down, up, down, then all was fine. Is this what you are talking about? I will try and get some video uploaded later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Mine do the same thing! And has being doing it since i got it..
Alright, i'll send it back.

I have seen this issue mentioned a few times.

It seems specific to the Phantom 2 and gimbal firmware v1.0.0.6. This introduced the gimbal turning in relation to rudder/yaw input from the TX.
I have not seen any of this behaviour on the original release v1.0.0.2. Nor do I see it on my H3-3D which is not on a Phantom - I do not get the turn with yaw input even though I am running v1.0.0.6. This suggest to me that the gimbal 'knows' if it is connected to a Phantom or not and behaves differently if it is.

Now, all the above being said has anyone tried doing a TX stick calibration? I'm not talking about the calibration through the assist software where you rotate all the sticks and then click finish. I'm talking about a manual calibration of the TX and the throws of the sticks themselves. It seems to me that the gimbal is drifting almost as though there is some sub-trim applied to the rudder channel. Of course since there are no adjustable trims on the TX itself it's hard to see or adjust.

Has anyone tried this -> http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom-Transmitter_Calibration on the Phantom 2 TX?

I'm not saying it will work or cure the drift problem but maybe worth a try.

http://vimeo.com/97639259

Thanks to a user on the facebook page - there is a fix and yes it works!!!

Hopefully this is an easy fix for DJI to write into the firmware.

Captain Salty said:

What fix?

Jaybee said:
Captain Salty said:

What fix?

Sorry - have fixed the post. Watch the video - very simple.

" Proof DJI is lying to customers about H3-3D faults "

******************** Mod edit: offensive comments removed.

Captain Salty said:
Jaybee said:
Captain Salty said:

What fix?

Sorry - have fixed the post. Watch the video - very simple.

OK -that is quite bizarre. My H3-3D does the same twitch and drift at startup, although it settles down and flies OK. Having just tested the startup orientation it really does make a huge difference. Almost no twitch and drift if the aircraft is pointing north on startup, and worst twitch and drift if it is pointing south. Multiple startup tests in different directions confirmed the behavior. There is clearly a serious flaw in the firmware.

Wow, I never even knew I had this problem. And I even noticed the slight turn to the left every so often revealed the left leg. I always thought it was my own doing, but now I'm not so sure. How frustrating. First I can't hover without circling, then I can't fly straight, then after every line I hook to the left, and now this.

mtpisgah said:

Comments like this have no business on this forum. I am not a mod, but if I see you post anything like this again, I will nominate you for an immediate ban!

The twitch at startup is annoying, but the real issue is the in-flight turn to the left. That's infuriating!

Seems to me what is occurring is the wind force on the camera exceeds a maximum allowed force level, which causes the yaw servo to "hibernate" for a few seconds. Given the geometry of the gimbal, the wind always causes the gimbal to yaw left.

This conclusion is based on observing when, and when not, this behavior occurs. It always happens when flying forward into the wind, and is worse with camera facing forward (largest wind profile). Fly backwards and/or with the wind, or very slowly, virtually no occurrences.

The question is, is this a flaw in the servo, or firmware, or both? Can firmware be set to adjust the yaw servo to withstand greater force, without burning up the motor???

We H3-3D owners are beta testers, at our own expense. That does not sit well with me at all!

Just got this email/echo back from DJI. Good to know a fix is inbound.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 568
ianwood said:
mtpisgah said:

Comments like this have no business on this forum. I am not a mod, but if I see you post anything like this again, I will nominate you for an immediate ban!

its a Freedom of Speech Clause - 1st Amendment...you did study that during your high school, right ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues