Programmable shot?

Reaction score
Hi. So I have been reading about sports drones, and understand the basic concept that they can "follow" you, automated, while you perform a certain sport activity.

Let me turn this around, as it is something I have been trying to find an answer on, and I am not sure if I have found it or not. I am seeking to achieve certain specific kinds of shots, one of which would be the following.

Imagine you are sitting on a rock or seat and the drone, the drone is close to you or the camera is in close up on your face, and then the drone "pulls back" rapidly, at an upwards angle, until it is a considerable distance away...in one stable shot.

Easy enough to do if you have a controller in your hand, also easy enough to do if you have a helper human (second pilot) but I am assuming neither situation. I am assuming that I will be alone and I specifically do NOT want a controller visible, or to have to worry about manually flying it at all during this type of shot. I want to be able to program the drone to do it, and then of course to be able to recover the drone (or have it fly back).

Is this possible currently? What present drones can definitely achieve this?

If so, what would be the best software for the job. How about drone spec? How economical would it realistically be possible to go and still get a somewhat quality result? (stability, video quality)

Hi. So I have been reading about sports drones, and understand the basic concept that they can "follow" you, automated, while you perform a certain sport activity.

Let me turn this around, as it is something I have been trying to find an answer on, and I am not sure if I have found it or not. I am seeking to achieve certain specific kinds of shots, one of which would be the following.

Imagine you are sitting on a rock or seat and the drone, the drone is close to you or the camera is in close up on your face, and then the drone "pulls back" rapidly, at an upwards angle, until it is a considerable distance away...in one stable shot.

Easy enough to do if you have a controller in your hand, also easy enough to do if you have a helper human (second pilot) but I am assuming neither situation. I am assuming that I will be alone and I specifically do NOT want a controller visible, or to have to worry about manually flying it at all during this type of shot. I want to be able to program the drone to do it, and then of course to be able to recover the drone (or have it fly back).

Is this possible currently? What present drones can definitely achieve this?

If so, what would be the best software for the job. How about drone spec? How economical would it realistically be possible to go and still get a somewhat quality result? (stability, video quality)
Pretty much any DJI Phantom drone can perform this shot using DJI GO software. All you need is a second pilot to fly the thing!

All kidding aside, Litchi would be an option, however, it would take some serious mission programming along with pain staking trial and error testing.

Take a look at the DJI Spark. The Spark features hand gesture control.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well, that's kind of my question. I don't use these things at the moment. I don't have a drone at the moment. I had a Phantom 3 when it came out, but alas had to sell it after about 6 months, so am only now thinking of "getting back in" and seeing how technology has advanced in the meantime.

Now I can see options for autonomous orbit and follow in Litchi, but I am still unclear from their website whether it can accommodate what I have described above. Better still, if anyone's willing, who has Litchi, could they actually try it?? and see what happens...if you are curious enough. Really, a controlled up-angled pull back from a close in face shot to say 300 feet distance. It would have to be steady, subject-centered, and as if the drone was on a rail. Not manually piloted. It assumes that the person is operating alone...so they would have to be able to set up the shot, get in position, and then trigger the drone, with at least a couple of seconds delay so that no piloting apparatus is ever visible in the take. Does that make sense?

I think with Litchi it would be as simple as starting the mission (WP1) at the altitude and height you wished to begin this outward pan, and then set WP2 at whatever distance and altitude you wanted it to end. Set both waypoint POI’s to be you. Litchi should draw the copter upward and away from you smoothly, adjusting the camera angle as it does so in order to arrive at WP2’s altitude when it gets there. I would think a speed of 5 Mph would be ideal on a light to no wind day. Probably have to fly a few runs with a tweak here or there to nail it.

If you have never used Litchi, it’s a lot to explain, but if you have, just keep it simple. Set video to auto start at takeoff, set action at WP1 to hover for however long you want/need to get into position, and then edit the final results however you like. I think the most complex part would be setting WP1’s altitude correctly, especially if low to the ground. It would be important to run maybe two test missions while holding the controller in order to take over if something didn’t look right. It would be a fun project though. Next time I fly - probably mid week - I’m gonna try it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers