Problems Override RTH

Reaction score
I have logged in over 50 flights on my P3S with almost all take offs and landings are on auto pilot. One issue I notices is when RTH is engaged and the aircraft is on its way down from its failsafe return flight level, if the RC sticks are given input, the aircraft is no more in GPS mode. Landings in calm weather is not a problem.
Problems occur when corrections made while landing in strong winds which causes my aircraft to drift along with the wind when the controls are released. The aircraft will regain its still hover if the RTH is cancelled. This happened many times to me.
That's how I suspect the aircraft is off GPS mode when RC input given while RTH landings.
Does this happen to any of you?
Aircraft firmware issue overlooked?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

when RTH is engaged and the aircraft is on its way down from its failsafe return flight level, if the RC sticks are given input, the aircraft is no more in GPS mode.
Have you confirmed this by checking the flight record to see what mode the Phantom is in while descending?

Have you confirmed this by checking the flight record to see what mode the Phantom is in while descending?

Aircraft log mode says "GoHome" while on its way back. "Landing" while on its way down, including the drift away part.
Healthy Drones shows GPS strength is good all the way. Still the aircraft drifts off and no GPS hold it in place on its way down after I nudged the stick a little and completely let go.
Here's the link for anyone interested to see how it drifted off at 4:00 time mark:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
What say you?

Last edited:
For this thread, I conclude these:
1. RTH invokes the aircraft to climb to its allocated fail safe level using barometer. GPS hold active.
2. Aircraft goes into GoHome mode and fly towards the Home GPS location. Directional (left stick) input can be given without affecting flight route.
3. Arriving above Home location, aircraft goes into Landing mode. GPS holds aircraft in same location until it lands guided by internal barometer.
4. In landing mode, right stick (mode 2) movements will induce aircraft movements while it lands. GPS hold disengaged. Aircraft continues to land guided by barometer and the good ol' gravity.
So, it's either auto-land, or if you want to make minor adjustments, while descending, keep that finger on the sticks. The aircraft will need to be guided all the way down especially in windy conditions.
On P3S, the RTH can be cancelled by flicking the S1 switch down-up twice. Useful if the landing site is not suitable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31