Problems ahead for 5.8Ghz?

Reaction score
With the "new" implementation of WattUp power transmitters (http://www.energous.com/transmitters/) the 5.8Ghz band for RC control is going to get a lot more congested...

WattUp™ transmitters, or power routers, deliver power within a 15-foot radius of where they are installed, creating a 30-foot envelope of wire-free charging space...
The system delivers an average of 2W to 4 devices simultaneously within this 15-foot radius (30 foot span). Proximity to the transmitter impacts power delivery as follows:

4W delivered to 4 devices simultaneously within 0-5 feet
2W delivered to 4 devices simultaneously within 5-10 feet
1W delivered to 4 devices simultaneously within 10-15 feet

Very interesting stuff... phased array antennas etc.. but a lot more "noise" on 5.8Ghz :-(

Can't see them getting these things licenced in the UK. Max ERP in the UK on 5.8GHz ISM is a lot less than these devices deliver and I doubt it will be increased for these type of chargers.

Not sure how useful this tech is anyway, as a standard 2A charger is delivering more like 10W, so 1-4W of RF will give a very slow charge - hours to charge up a phone.

There are 84 2.4GHz devices that I can detect from my office. Despite this, I often do test flights in the parking area with both the Futaba radio and the much more bandwidth intensive LightBridge with a full HD downlink. I will sometimes fly right up to my office window to test for interference against those 84 competitors. So far, I've had none. Line of site and proximity are key factors.

So the answer is most likely, no. There won't be issues for 5.8GHz ahead.

You won't be likely to see this in the near future, if at all. It is just another of several companies developing a wireless charging scheme, hoping to be purchased by a cellphone company. The technology is unlikely to succeed because it puts a strong signal in the vicinity of the cellphone which would desense the phone. Your four bars may become one or none.

Steve is right. Repercussions are far larger for mobile connectivity in general. Besides, who wants to have a 4W transmitter in their home? That's like living next to a cellular base station. Unhealthy. Yuck.

Jacob said:
I wonder if the FCC would allow this

sure they would if it means big $$$

fda allows propylene glycol in our food ...

big government cares about profit. :roll:

ianwood said:
Steve is right. Repercussions are far larger for mobile connectivity in general. Besides, who wants to have a 4W transmitter in their home? That's like living next to a cellular base station. Unhealthy. Yuck.

The 4 Watts is the power transferred to the device being charged. The RF power is likely to be far higher.. but in a very narrow beam.

Check this one out... also runs on 5.8Ghz - but with 20 thousand transmitters :eek:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_joxrZ6vdYc[/youtube]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20