Problem with panning while flying sideways

Reaction score
My Phantom 3 Pro has the problem that if I am flying sideways to the right (or left) instead of forwards, and I try turning to keep focus on a single object, then at first the camera pans quickly and then more slowly, even though I am using the same amount of stick. This used to work fine, but now it doesn't.

Do I need to calibrate something? I tried resetting all the parameters (gain, etc) to factory setting, but it didn't help.

Try changing the Gimbal Mode to "Follow" in the DJI Pilot application.

Got a video so we can see?

Sure, hang on...
OK, this is not a perfect example.

- In the first second, I am flying sideways to the right and stop.
- I then start flying sideways to the left and at the same time pan to the right to keep the building in the center.
- As you see, the pan goes slow, then quite fast, then slow again. At this point I return both sticks to the center.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK, this is not a perfect example.

- In the first second, I am flying sideways to the right and stop.
- I then start flying sideways to the left and at the same time pan to the right to keep the building in the center.
- As you see, the pan goes slow, then quite fast, then slow again. At this point I return both sticks to the center.

It's all about getting the correct percentage of mixed stick input.. It does take practice to get smooth pans.

It's all about getting the correct percentage of mixed stick input.. It does take practice to get smooth pans.
I see your point, but I can pan / turn smoothly in forward flight, just not sideways. It worked previously just fine. Every flight I practise flying around myself in a circle with me in the centre, but just lately, it's been impossible to control.

The only way for me to do it smoothly when flying sideways is to pan right a little, then left quite a bit, then right again to counteract the drone swinging faster after the first second or so.

Do you see what I mean? I will try to make a better video of the problem tomorrow.

I see your point, but I can pan / turn smoothly in forward flight, just not sideways. It worked previously just fine. Every flight I practise flying around myself in a circle with me in the centre, but just lately, it's been impossible to control.

The only way for me to do it smoothly when flying sideways is to pan right a little, then left quite a bit, then right again to counteract the drone swinging faster after the first second or so.

Do you see what I mean? I will try to make a better video of the problem tomorrow.

to do a smooth POI around a object you have to get a constant mix of yaw and aileron. Wind comes into play and you might be fighting against the braking sensitivity. Try turning it down and see if it makes it easier for you.

to do a smooth POI around a object you have to get a constant mix of yaw and aileron. Wind comes into play and you might be fighting against the braking sensitivity. Try turning it down and see if it makes it easier for you.
Thanks for the tip. I will certainly try that tomorrow.

The issue is in both directions (left and right), and consistently reproducible, so if it doesn't work, I will definitely be able to post a better video tomorrow.

turn your stick expos curve down to .30 in the app. Also braking down to 70. I had to do this and the handling is much more forgiving than at the default .40 or .50

That's said this is a tricky maneuver to pull off smoothy. Practice is everything. Here's my first test... notice the first tractor shot. Took me about 8 tries but with the sticks set to .30 and braking at 70 it was much more doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbundy63
There is a complication in that when you start (and end) any yaw motion, the gimbal is trying to smooth the motion so it can seem the response is not direct.
So the first and last part of this kind of clip are the hardest to get right
You can see it doing this playing with the controller on the desk.

There is a complication in that when you start (and end) any yaw motion, the gimbal is trying to smooth the motion so it can seem the response is not direct.
So the first and last part of this kind of clip are the hardest to get right
You can see it doing this playing with the controller on the desk.
Do you mean on the desk in the simulator? That thing with the gimbal trying to smooth it out is certainly something to consider. I will do a test to see if it is the whole copter turning too fast or just the gimbal.

Perhaps someone else can try panning while flying sideways and confirm if this is also a problem for them at the start of the pan?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic