Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Problem with iOS 2.3.0 app?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by bartold, Oct 6, 2015.

1. bartold

So today I installed the new iOS app. I did not fly since installing iOS 9. On my first battery I flew with my new iPhone 6S plus. The battery was at 57% because they had started their auto discharge from sitting a couple of weeks. I figured I would run them down before doing a full charge and check out the app. The first battery was fine. I then switched to my iPad mini 2. This battery was also at 57%. I took off went up to around 375 feet all the while I was going forward and turning to the right. At about 30 seconds in I got a critical low battery warning and the craft started going crazy. The gimbal started leaning to one side and went into an arc to the left. I tried to bring it back, it was only 500 feet away. It was flying sideways even though I was not imputing that into the controller. I got disoriented and then it lost signal and went down. The weird thing is on Facebook I have now seen this same problem twice. Just wonder if anyone else seen this.

2. bartold

I would also like to add that this was my 109th flight with over 1,150,000 feet flown without any problems or a single crash.

3. Jbundy63

Yes, post you data from HealthyDrones.com

4. FunN4lo

I have seen several other posts not related to the new app, but related to starting a flight with a far less than full batt causing issues.

Jbundy63 likes this.
  5. Jbundy63

Agreed +1

6. bartold

Great. Wish I saw those. I thought it would be better to drain down before recharging.

7. Mr.Spock

This is a known issue It has been reported in the forum over and over, i don't know if Dji mentions it somewhere i think is saw it somewhere. In any case never fly with less than 100% charged battery. The P3 needs all the juice it can at take off (a lot of Amps) and people reported that u can see the bat levels going very low suddenly during take off or at full throtle asend. Bottom line is the bird does not like it. Hope that u recovered your bird and that the damage is not grave.

8. bartold

It is demolished. Sent it back to DJI for repairs.

9. Oso

Oso

As soon as I read this part, I knew the rest of your story. I agree with what the others said and what has been noted on the forum many times. Begin with a fully charged battery.

How bad was the damage when it went down?

EDIT - Just saw your follow up post. Sorry about the heavy damage. I hope they fix it up quickly for you.

10. Mr.Spock

I am sorry man.

11. Jbundy63

Man that sucks! Sorry

12. Erroll

Any battery, including PBs, will register a drop in voltage when under load - the heavier the load the more the drop.

While it is desirable it is not always practical or opportune to take off with a full battery. In those cases simply take off gently and fly to your target slowly. Do NOT zoom up and out at full throttle!

I am approaching 300 flights and I frequently land and take off again - when I need to change a filter, swap out an SD card, or toggle between Go and Autopilot - and I have never experienced this sudden critical power situation. Take it easy with your P3 - it is a flying tripod, not a hotrod.

Mr.Spock and lotusteve like this.
  13. wali

taking off with 57%...
    there u go

14. bartold

DJI is repairing with no charge.

15. NorthwestDrone

Mine crashed after wind gust and dji repaired for $181. Took about 3 weeks. They basically sent me a new one, camera, body and all.

16. damitjim01

A product that can't perform reliably at 57% battery level is not a well designed product. It's within the safe operation range and should perform the same at 100% or 50%. This should not cause any logic issues within the product, it shouldn't behave irrationally. While it's power may be lower, it shouldn't perform actions not input by the user.

I have used mine as low as 40% for a quick 2 minute flight in the backyard. Nothing happened that I didn't directly input to the controller. Although, I haven't tried that with iOS9 on my 6+. I have resisted that upgrade due to all the reported issues.