Problem with active track

Reaction score
Hi.

I´ve just got myself a Phantom 3 4k, and are fairly happy with it :)
The problem is, that one of the main purposes I´ve bought it, is for tracking a moving car. I thought this would be easy to accomplish with the active tracking technology. I dont know why the tracking on those videos on youtube works so well, cause for me it sure isnt!
I´ve tried the DJI GO app, the Lichi app and the Vertical studio app. But all of them seems to loose the tracking so easily.
When walking around slowly it works sort of OK. But tracking a car driving around 20-30 km/h is out the question. The first 10 meters seems to be OK, but then it looses the tracked subject. It´s simply too sensitive.

So am I doing anything wrong? Is the tracking based on my phone´s (OnePlus 3) CPU, which is too slow? Which factors are involved with the tracking quality?

Thanks alot for your help! :)

Dji go doesn't support active track on p3-4k. Its based on gps tracking. Litchi will support this active track with camera tracking but requires high end device. Max speed is 30kph.

Thanks alot for your answer.
Ok, so I guess I can forget about the tracking.
I must practice moving the drone manually. But what is a high end device? Is my one plus 3 phone sufficient?

Thanks alot for your answer.
Ok, so I guess I can forget about the tracking.
I must practice moving the drone manually. But what is a high end device? Is my one plus 3 phone sufficient?
It is.. My galaxy s7 works ok. Litchi tracking is prosessed on phone so that is why it takes so powerfull device to work..

Dji go doesn't support active track on p3-4k. Its based on gps tracking. Litchi will support this active track with camera tracking but requires high end device. Max speed is 30kph.

Active track does no use GPS, that is follow me mode. Active track uses an image from the camera on the drone. For example, active track can be used to follow a person, dog or any moving object and those objects do not need to be holding the RC.

I´ve tried the DJI GO app, the Lichi app and the Vertical studio app. But all of them seems to loose the tracking so easily.
When walking around slowly it works sort of OK. But tracking a car driving around 20-30 km/h is out the question. The first 10 meters seems to be OK, but then it looses the tracked subject. It´s simply too sensitive.
I don't think you've tried the DJI Go app for active track on the P3 as the Go app does not support active track. Litchi and Vertical Studio do. Personally, I think VS does it the best. However, I've never had good success using Active Track on the P3, P4 or Mavic to track a vehicle. I've got it to work while the vehicle was going 20-25mph but around 30mph it was iffy.

So am I doing anything wrong? Is the tracking based on my phone´s (OnePlus 3) CPU, which is too slow? Which factors are involved with the tracking quality?
Correct, Active Track relies on the display devices CPU as it's done with the app itself. If the CPU power is not high enough, the tracking may start to lag a little. I've done a few tests (not a lot) and find that there can be a sweet spot for tracking. As I recall, I had more success when the Phantom was placed in front of the vehicle or the side and allowed to fly backward when tracking.

Vertical Studio on a P3P:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20