Problem downloading micro SD card to iPad Pro

Reaction score
Hello from a newbie. From SW London.

After my first flight I tried to download my videos to my iPad Pro. I used a card reader and the iPad found the 4 video clips. However, any attempt to fully download the clips failed. The download symbol (a spinning dotted wheel within the thumbnail) just ran forever. I allowed it to run for half an hour for a 2 minute clip so I'm sure I was giving it plenty of time. Same happened when I tried the other clips so I gave up.

The clips downloaded onto a laptop ok but I'd really much rather I could put them onto the iPad. They showed up on the card as .mov format on the laptop.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did search but couldn't find the same topic. Thank you.

Eamonn

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello from a newbie. From SW London.

After my first flight I tried to download my videos to my iPad Pro. I used a card reader and the iPad found the 4 video clips. However, any attempt to fully download the clips failed. The download symbol (a spinning dotted wheel within the thumbnail) just ran forever. I allowed it to run for half an hour for a 2 minute clip so I'm sure I was giving it plenty of time. Same happened when I tried the other clips so I gave up.

The clips downloaded onto a laptop ok but I'd really much rather I could put them onto the iPad. They showed up on the card as .mov format on the laptop.
I don't know the Apple ecosystem so can't help much ... but are you using a USB3 (blue inside the connector) reader?
If you are using USB 2 (black inside) it will take 10x longer.

Just using a card reader which has the Apple lightning connector.

Ok it worked. It's taking about 15 seconds to download each single second of video! So a one minute recording is taking 15 minutes to download. Is that normal? Seems very longwinded.

There's no USB, just the Lightning connection plug one end and the little box which is the card reader at the other end.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There's no USB, just the Lightning connection plug one end and the little box which is the card reader at the other end.
If you are using one of these: Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader
This might be the problem:. It supports data transfer at up to USB 3 speeds on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and up to USB 2 speeds on the 9.7-inch iPad Pro and all other iPad and iPhone models.*
USB3 is about 10 times faster than USB2

This is what I'm using with my full sized iPad Pro:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KiwiBird[emoji768]-Convenient-Supports-12-Month-Warranty/dp/B00ET5UAKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464619911&sr=8-1&keywords=kiwibird+card+reader

Hi - is it not possible to download to iPad from the card when it is still in the drone? Why do we have usb cables supplied if not? Do I need to buy a micro sd adaptor?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ive had this, near skimmed the ipad across the room cause of it

To see and read photos the card needs a directory called Dcim
The photos (i assume jpg) need to be in 8.3 format ie photo001.jpg

Stupid i know as it would be easier to name them with the date or a location, but thats the way it does it

Ok the crappy card reader fell apart last week and now I have the (ridiculously overpriced) Apple SD card reader. It is an amazing improvement. The old card reader took 15 minutes to download 1 minute of video to my iPad Pro. The official Apple product takes 6 seconds! I have to admit that in this case, buying cheap was a waste of time and money. Beware cheap products.

Reactions: CThruU
I was just gonna say, I have a 9.7 ipad pro and the Apple SD - Lightning adapter and my videos transfer faster than onto my Macbook Pro from an SD card. Glad you got it fixed.

When in doubt, buy genuine apple products. there is no substitute.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4