Pro ordered: 2 questions about my readiness

Reaction score
First post. Obligatory search done. My question may be too specific to find in searches. Phatom 3 Pro ordered.
1. Have iPad2, 2011, 16gb, wifi only. Will I be able to fly with it till I get something newer?
2. Unclear about which app to download. Some speak of “Go” while others say “Pilot”.
Can one of you clear the clouds on these two questions so I know about the software and whether I must shell out for another tablet. I have iPhone6. It’s a bit small.

Thanks everyone. Going shopping for another tablet. Just can't imagine that my iphone 6 would be big enough.

The WiFi only tablets work.. yes. But without GPS ON the device being used to fly, you are not able to take advantage of many of the features in all of the apps out there used to fly a P3! You dont need cell service to be activated. But only cell enabled crApple tablets have GPS.

The iPad Air 2 Cellular reigns supreme within the Phantom 3 device world. ;-)

RedHotPoker

The Air 2 does as well as my Tab 2 and Tab 3. I like the iOS 3rd party apps better though. So as much as I hate Apple, I do mostly fly my Air 2.

Just another reminder that there was a change with the last GO app iOS version. Devices that were too old to work are now able to download the app. I'm not saying the app will actually work safely while flying with older devices, but the app can at least now be downloaded to devices with iOS 8 or later. Before the last version, people trying to download to older devices would just get the "not compatible" message.

I would never try it myself with something older than an A7, but I'm sure that someone will try it. Especially around the holidays if they don't change the app store download criteria by then. We should be prepared for many posts about issues with older devices!

GO 2.4 now downloads to older Apple devices | DJI Phantom Forum

The WiFi only tablets work.. yes. But without GPS ON the device being used to fly, you are not able to take advantage of many of the features in all of the apps out there used to fly a P3! You dont need cell service to be activated. But only cell enabled crApple tablets have GPS.
How does one avoid being charged for data-time while using his cell-enabled tablet to fly?

How does one avoid being charged for data-time while using his cell-enabled tablet to fly?
Dont activate cell service. Pretty simple. There is no reason to get a tablet from ATT. There are hundreds of retailers out there. None of which tie service to the sale.

Dont activate cell service. Pretty simple. There is no reason to get a tablet from ATT. There are hundreds of retailers out there. None of which tie service to the sale.
I see. That's one of those questions that bound to fall into the stupid category. So I can simply buy one off CraigsList that has no service plan at all, load the app, good to go. I got it.

I see. That's one of those questions that bound to fall into the stupid category. So I can simply buy one off CraigsList that has no service plan at all, load the app, good to go. I got it.
Yes, that's an option. I don't buy anything from other people. Typically they are getting rid of it for a reason. And you likely wont know what that reason is until it becomes YOUR problem!

The only thing you won't be able to do with a non cellular iOS device (i.e wifi only, which don't have a gps module installed, unlike most wifi only android devices) is follow me, which is just a novelty as far as I'm concerned.

You cant dynamically set RTH to the controllers position. You cant use several automated features focus on the apps either. Nothing that depends on knowing where the transmitter is located.

Why is that?
It seems to work better for me, and more of us than anything else.
Less turmoil over all, simply many more flights, full of fun.

I followed 'mucho' forum threads before my drone was delivered, and this was the consensus of the majority. Apple iPad Air 2 Cellular. No cellular plan necessary.
It's probably one of the most expensive options for a paired device, so it had bloody well, better work flawlessly. ;-)
The iPad Mini 2 was my original choice, but it got way too hot, after flying only one intelligent flight battery worth of air time.

RedHotPoker

Yes, that's an option. I don't buy anything from other people. Typically they are getting rid of it for a reason. And you likely wont know what that reason is until it becomes YOUR problem!
Ah! A man after my own heart! I don't buy anything "used". Ever. But I'm rich.

/not

Reactions: III% Streve
I sell perfectly good stuff on Craigslist all the time because I want to upgrade to the latest and greatest. People who buy my stuff always end up happy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic