Pro or advanced

Reaction score
Ok, I'm buying my phantom soon, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to get, I'm doing this just for the hobby aspect of it, not in it fir the video, but I was wondering if the advanced is going to satisfy me, I will be flying at the beach a good amount of time, I have watched a couple of comparison videos and there are pros and cons to both, if I purchase the advanced that's a 450 savings, and I was wondering if you can put lens on the advanced camera like you can the pro?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was wondering if you can put lens on the advanced camera like you can the pro?
Yes. Both cameras are the same size and they both have a removable filter.

Filter was what I was thinking, thank you so much for the info

Just went through the the same dilemma... Decided on the P3A a few weeks ago and put the savings to an extra battery (and soon also a decent bag). Ordered directly from DJI with the sale.

The 2.7k video is quite good and certainly "good enough" for a hobby. Downsized to 1080 it looks very, very good if you're doing it correctly and not over processing. The photo files (jpg and raw/dng) are the same quality as the P3P.

Coming from a DSLR background I'm happy to say that you can squeeze some very nice image quality out of the small sensor for still images.

If you're interesting in only grabbing individual frames from video for still photos, then maybe consider the 4K.

Ask yourself: do I have the equipment to utilize or the need to have 4k video? That is basically the $450 question. I just went through the same process. I don't have a 4k tv, and don't plan on using 4k in any manner. The P3A does everything the P3P does as far as flying, distance and everything else excluding the 4k part. I bought the P3A and have no second thoughts about it. The advanced is a fantastic flying machine and you will absolutely LOVE it where you will be using it. Good luck.

Ask yourself: do I have the equipment to utilize or the need to have 4k video? That is basically the $450 question. I just went through the same process. I don't have a 4k tv, and don't plan on using 4k in any manner. The P3A does everything the P3P does as far as flying, distance and everything else excluding the 4k part. I bought the P3A and have no second thoughts about it. The advanced is a fantastic flying machine and you will absolutely LOVE it where you will be using it. Good luck.

... and what he said.

If you're interesting in only grabbing individual frames from video for still photos, then maybe consider the 4K.
While this is possible, the frames are not anywhere as nice as having the RAW data itself. At this point, the only benefit I see to having 4K is that you're able to crop it if needed. Other than that, all it has done for me is make my computer churn harder when processing the video :)

While this is possible, the frames are not anywhere as nice as having the RAW data itself. At this point, the only benefit I see to having 4K is that you're able to crop it if needed. Other than that, all it has done for me is make my computer churn harder when processing the video :)

Agree 100%.

Panama City beach most of the time

Thanks for the advice guys, I think the advanced will win today, the savings will go toward an extra battery and case

Ok, I'm buying my phantom soon, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to get, I'm doing this just for the hobby aspect of it, not in it fir the video

If you aren't in it for the video get the advanced. Photo capability is the same. Lens is not removable. The cover is.. So if you mean can you put a filter on it yes. Can't swap the lens though.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Not that it probably makes a huge difference, but the difference in price between the Advanced and Professional $359 from Amazon ($799 vs. $1158).

One other difference that may not matter to you is that the Pro has a bitrate of up to 10Mbps for FPV, while the Advanced is limited to 2Mbps. If you're flying FPV with goggles, I've heard this makes a big difference.

Not that it probably makes a huge difference, but the difference in price between the Advanced and Professional $359 from Amazon ($799 vs. $1158).

One other difference that may not matter to you is that the Pro has a bitrate of up to 10Mbps for FPV, while the Advanced is limited to 2Mbps. If you're flying FPV with goggles, I've heard this makes a big difference.
I have P3A and fly with FPV goggles and see no issues. May be its just me.

As others have already said, buy the unit which meets you needs today...If you are only ever going to watch video in 1080 (equipment restrictions etc) buy the P3A. You may also want to consider the Pro is already a year old so you may be doing yourself a great favour buying the heavily discounted P3A today and put the savings aside for the inevitable new version that has yet to be released...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4