Private plane too low

Reaction score
I have been flying my P3A for a few weeks now and for about the third time (while not actually flying) I have seen a small private plane fly nearly directly over my house at what seems to me to be certainly less than 400 ft. I am 8 miles away from a private airport that is seldom used. I have read that planes minimum safe altitude is 1000ft above congested areas and obstacles. Who do I contact to complain about this planes height and who would be liable below 400ft?

I have been flying my P3A for a few weeks now and for about the third time (while not actually flying) I have seen a small private plane fly nearly directly over my house at what seems to me to be certainly less than 400 ft. I am 8 miles away from a private airport that is seldom used. I have read that planes minimum safe altitude is 1000ft above congested areas and obstacles. Who do I contact to complain about this planes height and who would be liable below 400ft?
You can be assured that a collision or near miss with a full size piloted aircraft will be the drone pilots fault regardless of the altitude. If you see a plane that may become a mid air issue, descend and move out of the way.
If you can get the tail number of the plane, then you at least have some way to identify it and notify authorities.

Liable for what?

You would contact your local FSDO. But unless you have an N-number and preferably video evidence, I wouldn't expect much to come of it. But again, liable for what?

Reactions: David Chris
So the minimum safe altitude of 1000ft means nothing? I would be within regulation and the plane pilot is not within regulation. Not understanding the logic that he has row

So the minimum safe altitude of 1000ft means nothing? I would be within regulation and the plane pilot is not within regulation. Not understanding the logic that he has row
Planes with live human beings have the ROW-- that's the logic plain and simple.. Also it is very hard for a pilot to see your Phantom and very much easier for you to see the plane to avoid a collision-- The air space is free but there are regulations that we have to observe to be able to share that air space.:)

I routinely have this problem not that you can trust the altimeter on the app but I can tell when say a prop plane is not 400 feet above (especially considering elevation changes) I've even seen leer jets (corporate execs heading to good ol NJ) fly low over my office building with a coworker to witness. Not sure what you could report but I am in the metropolis so you think they would follow those rules here of all places

It is a rule that you are supposed to yield as medivac routinely fly below 400 feet to lessen time to hospital in a short hop.

the plane could have gotten permission from nearest faa center and they knew they were that low,,,,the thing is a real plane can be spotted on radar, so FAA knows where they re,,drones don't show up

Also its 500' if its a rural area, just don't go flying across a major city at 500'

This was certainly not a medivac as helicopters are used around here. I think the liability risk is too high for me. Just because I am line of sight does not mean I am scanning the surrounding sky constantly.

Too many bad news stories making me think legislation is soon to come with us on losing end. P3A now for sale

Reactions: Scott Cramer
I routinely have this problem not that you can trust the altimeter on the app but I can tell when say a prop plane is not 400 feet above (especially considering elevation changes) I've even seen leer jets (corporate execs heading to good ol NJ) fly low over my office building with a coworker to witness. Not sure what you could report but I am in the metropolis so you think they would follow those rules here of all places
Oh yes, it happens daily -- how about a SW airlines over our park about 10 miles from the airport at 250 feet when they should be at 700 feet-- and they are not even on final approach. If it is a question of ROW, they have the undisputed right to the airspace- that doesn't mean they are not in violation of the regulations and cant be fined -- but that is completely removed from the question of Liability-- In the event of a crash, I don't believe anyone would want to think about going thru legal liability litigation to prove that the drone pilot was not liable and the death of a pilot or occupants of the plane were a result of the pilot flying too low when it collided with the drone. I cant even believe the original question:confused::confused:o_Oo_O

Reactions: jcknows0
I promise you, a SW flight at 250' was being told here to go and what to do by approach,,,they were probable flying them under another flight,,, commercial planes are flying IFR, they only do what they are told to do, they don't just decide to change elevation

Reactions: Scott Cramer
I promise you, a SW flight at 250' was being told here to go and what to do by approach,,,they were probable flying them under another flight,,, commercial planes are flying IFR, they only do what they are told to do, they don't just decide to change elevation
For sure

Get his N-number next time and look up the FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO)telephone # in your area and call them.
Here's the relevant FAR:

Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

The human eye is remarkably bad for determining the altitude of an aircraft, drone or bird. The minimum safe altitude is either 500 ft or 1,000 ft depending on the density of the area. Except during takeoff and landing.

the plane could have gotten permission from nearest faa center and they knew they were that low,,,,the thing is a real plane can be spotted on radar, so FAA knows where they re,,drones don't show up
The FAA can't give permission for anyone to fly below the minimum safe altitude. If you are using ATC services (I.E. Controlled) then the radar is not expected to work below the MSA . If a pilot is communicating with Approach or Departure control and you ask for an altitude below their sector floor the response will be "Radar service terminated. Squawk VFR" and you will then be invisible to ATC.

No way was the airline aircraft that low if it's not taking off or landing, it just isn't going to happen:

14 CFR §91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a)Anywhere.An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

A 737 has a glide ratio of 17:1, so from 250 ft the glide will cover 4,250 ft before it's on the ground. Totally not legal. There's just no way that's going to happen on purpose.

You don't list your location in your profile, so tell me what airport the airline is flying out of and I'll see what the approach charts show.

Monroe county airport Bloomington Indiana. It did not appear to be heading in direct direction of airport. It seemed like a small private plane not commercial

The human eye is remarkably bad for determining the altitude of an aircraft, drone or bird. The minimum safe altitude is either 500 ft or 1,000 ft depending on the density of the area. Except during takeoff and landing.

The FAA can't give permission for anyone to fly below the minimum safe altitude. If you are using ATC services (I.E. Controlled) then the radar is not expected to work below the MSA . If a pilot is communicating with Approach or Departure control and you ask for an altitude below their sector floor the response will be "Radar service terminated. Squawk VFR" and you will then be invisible to ATC.

No way was the airline aircraft that low if it's not taking off or landing, it just isn't going to happen:

14 CFR §91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
(a)Anywhere.An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

A 737 has a glide ratio of 17:1, so from 250 ft the glide will cover 4,250 ft before it's on the ground. Totally not legal. There's just no way that's going to happen on purpose.

You don't list your location in your profile, so tell me what airport the airline is flying out of and I'll see what the approach charts show.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31