Preventing Flyaways - tx/rx change

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I lost my previous phantom due to a flyaway into a lake, and I think it's due to interference on the connection.
From what i've read, interference can cause a flyaway and will prevent the phantom from using it's failsafe return to home feature.

To try and eliminate the interference issue, I was considering upgrading the transmitter and receiver.... HOWEVER, I noticed that the PV+ uses 5.8ghz for tx/rx, and 2.4ghz for fpv.
If I was to swap over the tx/rx for less interference to a 2.4ghz system, would this clash with the fpv system on the same band?

Has anyone done the swap to prevent the flyaway issues?

Thanks!
Nic

That wouldn't fix it because the fly-aways you talk about are probably caused by rmf-interference from video-wifi signal with gps signal reception. So has nothing to do with tx/rc.

I've done this mod with a Vision, and it's going to be a lot of work and expensive!
You will need to change the receiver with a 2.4GHZ one that will have a D-Bus output as this is the way it's set in the NAZA-lite (can not be changed)
(Futaba and Frsky receivers have D-Bus out)

Alternatively you can change the NAZA lite with a true NAZA lite or V1/2 so it will except other receivers

Here is the one I did (you can skip the camera part) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28090
Also. As mentioned. The WiFi video TX will/might not work well with the 2.4 remote.

One more thing. Flyaways are not caused by going out of range.
It's a GPS / compass problem.

4wd said:
oscillate said:
If I was to swap over the tx/rx for less interference to a 2.4ghz system, would this clash with the fpv system on the same band?
Nic

Short answer - yes.
Your assumptions on cause of (increasingly rare) flyaway events are rather muddled too.

how so?

Noël said:
One more thing. Flyaways are not caused by going out of range.
It's a GPS / compass problem.

Hi Noël,
Thank you for your input. My fly away occur only less than 30 meters away from me. I had 7 satellites and I also had calibrated the compass.
For this reason, I thought that it had to be interference from wifi networks or other sources which prevented the "out of range" failsafe.

It's hard to conclude what happened, but easy to not feel safe buying another one knowing that this has happened.

phantomi said:
A possible reason why the upgraded compass is now in every phantom sold.

As of when? my flyaway phantom was only 2 weeks old, and was the V3 with upgraded gimbal dial etc.

If you don't know what caused your incident, you risk all kinds of wasted effort trying to prevent things that may not be a factor at all. You didn't give any details of what happened but if you do, forum members with their collective experience might be able to put their heads together and come up with an idea of what really happened and help you develop a strategy to prevent it happening again.
I suspect that interference is unlikely to be the cause - if it was lots of us would have been having similar problems.
Your proposed fix is a lot of work and cost that is probably unnecessary.

Geert said:
Here is a topic about Preventing Flyaways : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4938

Geert./.

You write this like as though if I had have read through the forum link that you've given me, the issue wouldn't have occurred. Unfortunately I don't feel this isn't the case!
I understand you are probably sick of people posting about flyaways and such, but I am an experienced pilot and believe that there wasn't anything I could do to stop this from happening.

This is my best explanation of what happened:

After my third flight with the product, it malfunctioned. Prior to flight it went through the boot up process, including getting around 8 satellites. After it gave the OK to fly, I flew it with no problems for around a minute on the fully charged battery close to me. All of a sudden, the quadcopter started banking hard to the right and wouldn't respond to user input. The green LED was still flashing green as per normal. I tried many different things, such as flight modes, with no luck. It veered off and descended into the a lake near the park. The water is very murky, and I have since looked for it 3 times but cannot locate it. All batteries were charged, the compass was fine, fail safe was on, and this has resulted in the loss of one DJI Phantom 2 vision plus.

I didn't mean to sound hostile either, sorry, i'm just really frustrated with the whole situation hey.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj