Pretty close to throwing my Arris gimbal in the trash.

Reaction score
This gimbal has prevented me from flying my mc for months. I hate it. I simply cannot get the gimbal to act right. Its either violently shaking itself to death or making crazy buzzing sounds as it constantly tilts up and down but wont just sit at a nice 45 degree angle. Maybe someone has a profile they can upload that actually works?

I'm at the end of my rope with this whole thing.
http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/e30 ... 6d7445.mp4

Sorry I know nothing about that gimbal I see you have hero 2 on it maybe to heavy ?
You don't need a gimbal to fly take it off till you figure it out and have some fun flying ...

Arris CM3000 or 2000?

Firmware version?

Edit - Ah... I can see by your video it's the 2000.

Post your settings on here?

btw - what happened to the default setting that it came set with out of the box?

I don't see it on Hobby-Wing's site anymore, but I'm pretty sure there used to be a version of the CM2000 specifically for the Hero2.

Either way, Editor is right and there should be a CD with the right settings for you to use or at least start with. Something makes me think you've mentioned in the past that you don't have that though...?

OI Photography said:
I don't see it on Hobby-Wing's site anymore, but I'm pretty sure there used to be a version of the CM2000 specifically for the Hero2.

Either way, Editor is right and there should be a CD with the right settings for you to use or at least start with. Something makes me think you've mentioned in the past that you don't have that though...?

Just a quick note here before I have to leave for work.

Yeah there was a stock settings profile that came with the Arris CM2000 but it doesnt seem to help. It constantly jerks and twitches in both pan and tilt. In addition to that, the X- axis makes it tilt up or tilt down but it wont simply stop at 45 degrees. If you tell it to tilt up it will until it reaches straight. If you tell it to tilt down it will until its facing the ground. Theres not middle ground. I also dont like the strap that hold the camera in. I opted to use a tightly wrapped rubber band for more security. Its just really aggravating.

It looks like your settings are trying to move it up higher than it is and a wire or something is catching it and preventing it from moving.

With it turned off, swing the camera throughout it's range of motion and see if anything is catching against the gimbal's frame. Even the slightest resistance will cause problems.

With my gimbal at least, there is a tiny circuit board under the camera. That tells the gimbal the camera's position. Securing it or moving it slightly may help.

Mine worked for 2 days, then did a slow roll up whenever I turned it on. It did a full rotation.I could not get it to work at all.

I got mad and took it off, build a test stand for it, tried it a few times and it started working. I have NO idea what, if anything I did and it works perfectly now.

Mine also has a tiny button on the circuit board that resets things. If I press it several times, it releases the camera so I can position it how I want before it kicks back in.

HoverMan said:
This gimbal has prevented me from flying my mc for months. I hate it. I simply cannot get the gimbal to act right. Its either violently shaking itself to death or making crazy buzzing sounds as it constantly tilts up and down but wont just sit at a nice 45 degree angle. Maybe someone has a profile they can upload that actually works?

I'm at the end of my rope with this whole thing.
http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/e30 ... 6d7445.mp4

I scraped mine (Cm 2000 V5) after several malfunctions and just having to screw with the software to often. If you want these parts that I have listed on this forum http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21801 and will pay the shipping they are yours for free. Let me know. I went with a Tarot 2D and have not had 1 problem.

HoverMan said:
OI Photography said:

Yeah there was a stock settings profile that came with the Arris CM2000 but it doesnt seem to help. It constantly jerks and twitches in both pan and tilt. In addition to that, the X- axis makes it tilt up or tilt down but it wont simply stop at 45 degrees. If you tell it to tilt up it will until it reaches straight. If you tell it to tilt down it will until its facing the ground. Theres not middle ground. I also dont like the strap that hold the camera in. I opted to use a tightly wrapped rubber band for more security. Its just really aggravating.

Yes - You have your pitch setting in the Alexmos software in Speed mode so it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do, you need to have it in Angle mode.

It sounds like you have played around with the settings which is why I asked (and I'll ask again)..

What firmware version?

PID settings are a delicate balance of various parameters so post your full settings on here and we will try and help you.

The Editor said:
HoverMan said:
OI Photography said:

Yes - You have your pitch setting in the Alexmos software in Speed mode so it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do, you need to have it in Angle mode.

It sounds like you have played around with the settings which is why I asked (and I'll ask again)..

What firmware version?

PID settings are a delicate balance of various parameters so post your full settings on here and we will try and help you.

Thanks for the help. I did change 1 gimbal setting (roll) from speed to angle. Check these pics out and let me know what you think is wrong. Also included is 1 pic of how the gimbal is really sitting.

Attachments

• gimbal1.JPG
    gimbal1.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 474
  • gimbal2.JPG
    gimbal2.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 449
  • gimbal3.JPG
    gimbal3.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 476
  • gimbal4.JPG
    gimbal4.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 456
  • gimbal5.jpg
    gimbal5.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 458
Hey guys. Thanks again for any help here. This is the latest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2jCJk2Ea4

I tried using the supplied velcro strap which I totally do NOT trust, but thought I'd try anyway. I did get the version with the hero 2 mount so its a little larger than the hero 3 mount. The 2 + the strap just doesnt really work. Anyway..

Piece of F******g ****. I'm so over this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3te0Nq ... e=youtu.be

The strap that hold it on = garbage. The stock settings dont work, the roll motor wont level, and it constantly makes alien noises. And, nobody seems to be able to help. Not even Hobby-wing. And now they want me to pay to send it back. Makes me want to sell everything and forget about this hobby.

What settings are you using? What version of the GUI are you using? Firmware version?

The alien noise is a setting. I think under advanced PWM frequency. Set to high (silent)

BZNCREW said:
What settings are you using? What version of the GUI are you using? Firmware version?

The alien noise is a setting. I think under advanced PWM frequency. Set to high (silent)

Hey

All the settings screenshots are on page 1. But I'm pretty sure I already have it on high frequency (silent).

When not powered on, does it move freely? Can you place it in any given position and will it stay there? (It must be able to do that to be properly balanced) The red text, does it say "accelerometer not calibrated"? Have you tried calibrating acc and gyro? Have you done a 6 axis calibration?

DKDarkness said:
When not powered on, does it move freely? Can you place it in any given position and will it stay there? (It must be able to do that to be properly balanced) The red text, does it say "accelerometer not calibrated"? Have you tried calibrating acc and gyro? Have you done a 6 axis calibration?

Yes it does move freely. Will it stay any way I put it? No. It always leans down like the camera is heavy. This is, of course, when the gimbal is off. The text in red is old and that has been resolved. I have done the acc and gyro calibration many times. I have not done the 6 axis calibration because I do not understand the directions to do so.

I hope this helps. For one thing, the strap is a God-awful way to hold it on but thats all Arris gives.

IMG_6832_zps95e87f2f.jpg

IMG_6833_zps0a1166b4.jpg

IMG_6835_zpse190d3a0.jpg

IMG_6837_zps19e559d3.jpg

IMG_6838_zps449762ee.jpg

IMG_6839_zps8fafc71c.jpg

IMG_6840_zps64917b45.jpg

I know it sounds simple, but try putting something instead of the GoPro on the gimbal, that allows you to balance it perfectly, and see if that makes a difference. If so, you know what is causing the problem.

OI Photography said:
HoverMan,if you do ever end up getting it balanced, there is a cage mount you can use with the Hero2 instead of the strap (which I know is a pain): http://www.hobby-wing.com/gopro2-cbron- ... m2000.html

Thanks man. I just about blew a fuse when I got home yesterday. Hobby-wing is being completely uncooperative and that isn't helping. That cage looks good. I wonder why they didnt just include it originally. I hate to give that company more money but it may be the best option.

HoverMan said:
OI Photography said:
HoverMan,if you do ever end up getting it balanced, there is a cage mount you can use with the Hero2 instead of the strap (which I know is a pain): http://www.hobby-wing.com/gopro2-cbron- ... m2000.html

Thanks man. I just about blew a fuse when I got home yesterday. Hobby-wing is being completely uncooperative and that isn't helping. That cage looks good. I wonder why they didnt just include it originally. I hate to give that company more money but it may be the best option.

No worries, I totally understand that. I was trying to find a used one on ebay or somewhere but no luck yet.

For one thing, I drove out 30 minutes for the perfect spot to fly it. Next time I'll just go outside my apartment building. No sense in going all in if its going to be a failure like that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31