Pre-Purchase Questions and Assumptions re: Phantom Vision+

Reaction score
Questions and Assumptions re: Phantom Vision+
I've tried searching for these answers but since the Vision+ is so new, it seems there aren't a lot of answers out there yet.

TLDR; I'm looking for assurance that the Vision+ can be reverted back to a standard Phantom 2 or is capable of being modded with all the same accessories as the standard Phantom 2. The 5.8Ghz control and WiFi module might interfere with future upgrades.

Can the stock camera/gimbal system be replaced with a Zenmuse gimbal?
*After searching here I found the info on DroneXpert, so looks like it's possible.
Does anyone know if the mounting screw holes are compatible? or will there be drilling involved?

How difficult is it to change the receiver?
It comes with rx/tx at 5.8 but can it be change to 2.4?
I realize that will interfere with the WiFi link but I'm thinking of the future possibility of increased control range or replacing the WiFi link with Ground station and a real time 5.8GHz video transmitter.

I'm very close to clicking the buy now button on a Vision+ but the decision was not easy.
I'm a techie who enjoys DIY and hacking so the turnkey solution was not a major selling point.
But the FPV, ground station capabilities and telemetry all combined for the cost is hard to beat.

I just want to be sure I can upgrade or swap components in the future when I want to get more advanced. Such as switching to a GoPro, adding Ground Station, Lightbridge, ALV58 or other 5.8GHz real-time FPV.

Thanks

Re: Pre-Purchase Questions and Assumptions re: Phantom Visio

Just buy a p2, it sounds like it would be a better choice for your needs. Anything is possible but what you are asking will cost a fortune. The dronexpert mod looks pretty interesting but knowing them it wont be cheap, they dont do anything cheap. You would probably be cheaper getting a p2 setup and a p2v+ setup than trying to cannibalise a p2v+ and that way you'd have a spare if one of them crashes.
If you are talking about lightbridge I guess you can afford it.

Go with P2 and Zenmuse you'll be miles ahead $$$ wise towards your additions.

Thanks. I really wish they made a P2+ that has the P2V+ internals but with a Zenmuse gimbal so you can BYO camera.
(and no, I can't afford a lightbridge, just thinking about the possibilities of that or something like it.)

One more question came to mind about how the Phantom handles a dead or very low battery.
When the battery capacity drops low enough that the system can't stay airborne, does the "smart battery" kill power to the entire system or does it stay on?
I assume that even if there isn't enough power for the motors anymore, there might still be enough to keep the GPS and WiFi system running for a short while so you can track it within WiFi range.

If the rotors stop it'll crash ! If the battery gets to low it'll auto land.

The factory default is when the battery gets down to 30 percent power, you receive an audible and visual warning on your display. If it gets to 15 percent power it will auto land wherever it may be. This can be reconfigured down to 12 percent. It's very important to get back to a safe landing spot before the auto land kicks in because you will lose all ability to control the Phantom with the controller once down to 15 percent and auto land kicks in.

That's correct. It will stay powered on for several minutes. If you choose the 'find my Phantom' option in the DJI phone app, it will show you the last GPS coordinate for the Phantom on a Google satellite map.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues