Pre Install Micro USB for Zenmuse

Reaction score
I love having to take a part my phantom, NOT. I have installed the Zenmuse Gimbal and a few other goodies like the DJI AVL58 Transmitter for viewing my video (FPV) on a receiver mounted 5" monitor.

Unfortunately I was to fast to close up the Phantom before I realized I needed to plug in the video plug into the GCU. So I took a part Phantom again.

Now finished, I am experiencing that my gimbal is not leveling and is tilted up. Ok, go to website, look up manual, read that I should install software and do an update. PROBLEM....the GCU is inside the Phantom and once again I must take apart the body.

I ran a short cable through the battery compartment and up the side to the Zenmuse GCU. I am leaving it plugged into the GCU so I don't have to go back into the Phantom for any updates. The cable is then tucked off to the side in the battery compartment just like the USB cable for the Phantom updates.

I have attached photos of the setup I have with the DJI AVL58 video transmitter and remote mounted 5" monitor for FPV while flying. This runs for about 9-10 mins off one battery powering the video transmitter, Zenmuse, GoPro and flying the Phantom.

Attachments

• IMG_6615.JPG
    IMG_6615.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 1,519
  • IMG_6610.JPG
    IMG_6610.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,533
  • IMG_6614.JPG
    IMG_6614.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,511

Attachments

• IMG_6611.JPG
    IMG_6611.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,447
  • IMG_6612.JPG
    IMG_6612.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,452
  • IMG_6613.JPG
    IMG_6613.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,427
I really like your set up. I'm looking for a good fpv for my phantom with zenmuse gimble. The guys at dronefly said you need and extra 3cell dean connector to power the transmitter on the copter. How do you power yours? Also what make and model of monitor did you purchase?

Knowicki said:
I really like your set up. I'm looking for a good fpv for my phantom with zenmuse gimble. The guys at dronefly said you need and extra 3cell dean connector to power the transmitter on the copter. How do you power yours? Also what make and model of monitor did you purchase?
For mine, I used the Aux power cables located inside the Phantom, pulled them through one of the holes in the landing gear (ie what you had to do for the compass cable and H3-2D 8 pin cable), then soldered on a JST male lead to that. From there, my video transmitter - an Immersion RC 600mw 5.8GHz - plugged right into that. The JST lead is nice because, if like me you are considering running a 2 camera setup (a cheap CCD for forward flight and then the gimbal stabilized GoPro for actual recording), you can easily attach a JST splitter cable.

Been pretty happy so far, but now that I am considering a two camera, two transmitter setup (5.8GHz and 1.2GHz), I am likely going to need a separate power supply.

On the remote, RX side of the video, I bought a t-connector to a XT60 connector so I could use the same battery as the phantom. On the Phantom I soldered a t-connector wire to the phantom board and ran it out one of the provided port holes.

I bought the DJI AVL58 TX/RX which I like a lot. It did require me to drill a small hole into the side of the Phantom to run the video cable to the transmitter however.

Helipal has changed the power cable to connect to your 3s balance plug on your existing Phantom battery. This is the route I would go with if I had to do it over again. Then you don't have to solder the T-female plug to the power circuit on the Phantom.

Setup for Remote Control Unit.
5" Monitor http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-m500- ... p-959.html
FPV mounting bracket http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fpv-monitor-m ... p-985.html
XT60/T-Join Converter http://www.helipal.com/xt60-t-join-converter-set.html

Setup for Phantom (if you don't buy the Helipal DJI AVL58)
T-female http://www.helipal.com/battery-converte ... anana.html

Send any question you have. Happy to help.

Kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31