Power of the sysop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I built a mod for the FC40 that gives all sorts of good info, took a few days to make it all work. Since I have parted ways with my FC40 I thought another FC40 owner might want it, so I posted about it in the FC40 forum. A sysop, says that anything for sale has to go in the classified section, and I explained, that to me this is not your typical sale, It is not a used phantom or a gimbal, but a home built mod for that particular craft. I realize this is not really a big deal but for some reason it really got to me. I was ready to delete my account and leave phantom pilots behind was my first reaction and I don't know why this bothers me so very much, but I thought I would put it out there for other people to respond to. Perhaps help me understand how this is not something that should bother me. I try not to every argue with people here, but I do try and contribute to the conversation and all I ask is just a little respect, I will give it back. So, what does anyone think? Are my meds not working good enough? :)

I don't want to discourage others from weighing in on your question, but I'll add a note to hopefully not let it bug you so much anymore. While some sites do have the classifieds section set aside for commercial entities, this one like many others in this hobby use it for any and *all* items up for sale by members, including hand-built items and other non-standard or custom mods.

The owner of this site, Adam, decided from its inception that posts listing anything for sale should all be kept to the Classifieds section, whether it be off-the-shelf components or handbrewed workarounds to common problems.

However, that relates to the current rule (and why your thread was moved)....if anybody has any compelling/viable reasons to allow exceptions to the rule that might be worth lobbying to Adam, feel free to share them here (srsly!) :)

A couple of quick thoughts:

1. Definitely don't take a mod action as personal. We go through a lot of threads and if it seems like it belongs in another forum (esp. classifieds), we will move it, and move on. We're unaware of any special facts or circumstances that would warrant an exception (nor are we able to grant them all the time), but as you can see from OI's response, we're definitely looking to do the right thing by users and will thoughtfully consider if you bring it up with us.

2. The point of thread moves is to keep topics organized. The point of having a classified section is to separate for-sale postings from substantive discussion forums.

3. While we're on the lookout for spam, I'm personally inclined to allow a note in the FC40 forum pointing to a valid classified post if it is especially relevant. It would probably get annoying if every person selling fc40 gear cross-posted (and I'm sure you'd agree if you saw that from lots of other people) but if you use your judgment in doing so, and not take it personally if a mod decides it's crossed a line, you'd probably be ok. It's a lot less annoying to me to see a proper classified post and a single, non-bumped cross post in a relevant space, than it is to see someone who doesn't even bother posting the for-sale in the classified section in the first place.

I am sorry you felt my answer wasn't final or that I was picking on you, which of course was not the case. Starting a thread because you are 'butt hurt' was not the proper way to handle this either. Moderators actions are final. As you can see, the answer I gave you was correct... all items for sale whether you bought it or created it and no matter how unique it is, it belongs in the classified area. Hopefully you can see why we do it this way and can enjoy the forum for it's great exchange of ideas like yours. We (the mods), are here to make your visit more pleasant and easy to navigate. I apologize if you feel I disrespected you in some way as that was never my intention.

LuvMyTJ said:
I am sorry you felt my answer wasn't final or that I was picking on you, which of course was not the case. Starting a thread because you are 'butt hurt' was not the proper way to handle this either. Moderators actions are final. As you can see, the answer I gave you was correct... all items for sale whether you bought it or created it and no matter how unique it is, it belongs in the classified area. Hopefully you can see why we do it this way and can enjoy the forum for it's great exchange of ideas like yours. We (the mods), are here to make your visit more pleasant and easy to navigate. I apologize if you feel I disrespected you in some way as that was never my intention.

Ok, I have given this event a few days so I am not just reacting out of anger or some emotion but I do want to say that even in your reply above you seem to be talking down to me. What do you mean by "Starting a thread because you are 'butt hurt' was not the proper way to handle this either." So, if I felt hurt by your actions you think I should be quiet and not speak to it. As you say your action was "final" and thats the end of it, I don't understand why you wish to speak to me like that? I did nothing but contribute to this forum with a post that took sometime to compose, yet I am being addressed like I started something. And if this thread is wrong, how would you have preferred me to handle it? since your decision was final anyway.

I don't want to fight or argue with folks, and I am not trying to make the sysops here work. But I think it is only fair if we are all treated equally. I see lots of people selling things outside of classified, lots of things and some of these things are like factory made items. I am not going to try and get others banished to the classified forum but I do not understand why this rule is not used evenly and fairly. Oh, and even to it being a rule that if you wish to part with something for money that it has to go into classified, why is that not published. I asked the sysop who felt it was necessary and just like the message above I was talked down too and treated like a child who was misbehaving.

In my opinion I think the sysop should have contacted me and suggested a way in which I could follow the "rules" and still keep my message where I want it. I love this place and I will always be respectful of others and try and be as helpful and I can.

Here is a link to the offending post.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22147

Hi Wedeliver,

Sorry to hear the experience wasn't to your liking. If you disagree with a mod action, please bring it up with the mod (or any of the other mods). Looking through the original thread, it was a classified post and belonged in the classified section. I'm going to suggest that in a case like this, you should post in the Classifieds, and feel free to pick one subforum (e.g., FC40) and let people know you have an item for sale, with a link; we get that it's a bit redundant,but we also get that not everyone goes to Classifieds and there may be someone interested in the main discussion subforum. What we don't want is for the discussion forums to be inundated with sale transaction discussions between parties, that's exactly why the Classified section exists.

We don't want to squelch discourse or censor complaints, but I'm going to lock this thread now. We wanted to make sure you had an opportunity to speak your piece here, and are happy to continue this over PM. But on the substantive issue TJ is right--the original post was a solicitation for sale and was appropriately moved to the correct forum.

EG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues