Potential new phantom pilot

Reaction score
Hi,
Just thinking about buying a quad. Toying between buying a Phantom or a DJI F450.
Couple of quick questions regarding the Phantom. What sort of flight times can I expect if I was to add a GoPro Black 3+ and a gimbal, probably the Aeroxcraft one or similar? Further to this how much would the flight times reduce if I was to add FPV transmitter and Dominator goggles?
Also I read the range on the Phantom is around 300m. Is this accurate or are people going out further without issue? This is the reason I was possibly thinking of the F450. I already fly helicopters so have a transmitter. Thanks for any help. Great forum by the way :)
Cheers, Rich

three6ty said:
Hi,
Just thinking about buying a quad. Toying between buying a Phantom or a DJI F450.
Couple of quick questions regarding the Phantom. What sort of flight times can I expect if I was to add a GoPro Black 3+ and a gimbal, probably the Aeroxcraft one or similar? Further to this how much would the flight times reduce if I was to add FPV transmitter and Dominator goggles?
Also I read the range on the Phantom is around 300m. Is this accurate or are people going out further without issue? This is the reason I was possibly thinking of the F450. I already fly helicopters so have a transmitter. Thanks for any help. Great forum by the way :)
Cheers, Rich

Hi Rich,

The Phantom will do about 5-6 minutes of flying/hovering with a gimbal and GoPro attached. That also assumes that you have larger props or have gone to tri-props. FPV transmitters have a negligible effect on flight time, weight is the biggest enemy. The Phantom is a great FPV platform but not a great gimbal platform. In that sense the F450 or F550 is the way to go.

The range of the Phantom is around 300 meters on the stock transmitter and people have gone FARTHER out on a clear day. Keep in mind that range does not equate to flight time. Even thought I could throw a better receiver/transmitter combo into my Phantom and control it from 1.2km the Phantom is not going to have the power (flight endurance) to come back from that range.

An F450 is essentially the Phantom with a little less flair and a lot more upgradability. The DJI models share the Naza flight controller. If you already have a transmitter I would get an F450.

Hi,
Ordered a Phantom this morning. And a gopro black 3. Going to get FPV gear next month then a gimbal around xmas. This will all be my introduction to quads/FPV etc. If I enjoy this side of the hobby then next year I may well end up upgrading to something more substantial.
Can't wait to get this lot up and running and exploring this side of the hobby.
Cheers, Rich

Oh lordy, I feel an intervention coming...we need to introduce him to the twelve step program now that he is on the verge of becoming a addict.

Welcome Rich, to this band of merry fellow suffering, broke Phantom owners, LOL :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31