Potential New Drone Pilot

Reaction score
Hi Guys -

Just want to introduce myself and ask for some help. I am going to buy a drone, they just seem so fun. Not looking to do anything professional, just fly around and get some cool videos/pictures. I was told to get the Mavic by a enthusiast my dad knows. Seems like a good recommendation but for half the price I can get a Phantom 3. My instinct is to get the better one with the obstacle avoidance but I was hoping for some of your expert opinions on the matter.

Depends how you want to use it. If you want something mobile to hike/bike with to more remote places save up for the Mavic. If you want to stay close range and fly from places near your car or home and don't care about range or 4k get a P3 standard. If you want longer range, better feed/resolution, go for an Advanced or Pro. For a newbie, it's much easier to start and fly something that cost $400 than $1000. Get a standard and see how serious you are about it. You can always sell and upgrade later.

Reactions: R30Rush
Hi Guys -

Just want to introduce myself and ask for some help. I am going to buy a drone, they just seem so fun. Not looking to do anything professional, just fly around and get some cool videos/pictures. I was told to get the Mavic by a enthusiast my dad knows. Seems like a good recommendation but for half the price I can get a Phantom 3. My instinct is to get the better one with the obstacle avoidance but I was hoping for some of your expert opinions on the matter.

Mavic>2xP3S for sure. However if P3 SE comes to NA, that would be a different story.

Hi Guys -

Not really a good idea as a newbie to jump in the deep in right off. but no reason to go low either. the P3 A or P is a great mid level bird that will likely do everything that you want it to starting out and for some time to come. and remember, that the initial buy in price is, like most hobbies, just the tip of the iceberg. By the time you buy a case, a couple of extra batteries and maybe a new tablet you can easily have another $4-500 wrapped up. Scan though some of the threads here especially the photo and videos t see some of the amazing things that folks are doing with their P3 A/P aircraft.

Refurbished Phantom 4's are currently available from Newegg.com for $729, this deal ends at Midnight tonight EDT. I got a similar deal from another dealer and I could NOT be happier with my Phantom 4.

Last edited:
Hi Guys -

Hi Guys -

Yip unless you already can fly those littles things get something good otherwise p3s ,very easy to learn and good for a confidence booster,,also p3 can perform good to:)

Start cheap and work up. I learned to fly on a $30 dollar kmart drone then went to a $70 udi u118a, after I got fine tuning down I bought my phantom

Newegg.com has sale on New P3S on sale 399.00. Take to Target they will price match. Use red card and get New P3S for 380.00.
Can't beat this value.

Newegg.com has sale on New P3S on sale 399.00. Take to Target they will price match. Use red card and get New P3S for 380.00.
Can't beat this value.
Followed this advice and others. Thanks guys! Now I just need to learn how to use all the features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20