Post Production Specs

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

New drone owner and newer to video work. My background is all stills. So my MacBook Pro is starting to show it's age. It's a 2010 and it will not handle the 4k video files every well. I know there are some options to download to help but I need a new computer anyways.

Do any of you happen to have this setup and if you do, how does it handle editing?
Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display - Apple

I was originally going to spec out a new one like the one in the image attached but the price of the refurb is great if it can handle the load.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 9.01.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 9.01.45 PM.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 317
Hey everyone.

New drone owner and newer to video work. My background is all stills. So my MacBook Pro is starting to show it's age. It's a 2010 and it will not handle the 4k video files every well. I know there are some options to download to help but I need a new computer anyways.

Do any of you happen to have this setup and if you do, how does it handle editing?
Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display - Apple

I was originally going to spec out a new one like the one in the image attached but the price of the refurb is great if it can handle the load.

I'm using an iMac 27" Retina with 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5 processor with 16GB of RAM and it hums right along with any Photoshop and 4K video tasks. No problem.

The one you linked has the standard 5400rpm hard drive, it's horribly slow and completely un-upgradeable (unless you like taking a giant screen off and tinkering. For 4K editing I would suggest the fusion drive or even better the thunderbolt 2 external drive. Also, my suggestion would be to buy AppleCare, it's almost robbery because you get to have a three year warranty on a two year old Mac, but again, macs are wonderful, but when they go out, they go out with a bang.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The one you linked has the standard 5400rpm hard drive, it's horribly slow and completely un-upgradeable (unless you like taking a giant screen off and tinkering. For 4K editing I would suggest the fusion drive or even better the thunderbolt 2 external drive. Also, my suggestion would be to buy AppleCare, it's almost robbery because you get to have a three year warranty on a two year old Mac, but again, macs are wonderful, but when they go out, they go out with a bang.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The one in the link shows a 1tb fusion drive. I'd swap it out with a SSD though.

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic