post here if you're hobbyist & been fined for flying drone

Reaction score
been fined by (US or otherwise) federal, state, county, city, etc.
for flying drone as hobbyist?
post here with as much specifics as willing
(or even told you could be fined by authority but were given warning)
TIA

Reactions: Mark The Droner
It's unlikely anyone will post, even if they have.

It's rare that the FAA goes after recreational flyers for monetary fines. The FAA is about education and safety, not fines.

I and others have been part of many "counseling sessions" with hobbyists. Usually because they're supposed to be flying under 107. But occasionally for TFR violations.

Unless you're flying like an idiot (Philly Mikey comes to mind), you're not going to get fined by the FAA. You'll just get an opportunity to have a cup of coffee with an FAA Safety Team Drone Pro.

this thread prompted by other thread with link to local FL hobbyist restrictions;
some listed fines, e.g., $200 - $400
what's true for FL is NOT JUST true for FL, but for other US states?!
some municipalities have reputation for issuing speeding tickets to boost coffers;
so am guessing some also "love" issuing hobbyist drone fines-tickets;
let's bloody expose them, this is one way...

if one takes road trip across US with a dozen unscripted stops a day to take aerial photos,
& one is following all the obvious FAA rules, is one going to spend hours a day to try
finding local authority's approval -- a local bureaucrat that may NOT know???
We have enough trouble reaching proper municipal employees in our own locales
when it comes to drones or any other issues!!!

Last edited:
An “opportunity” that I would politely decline. Why would anybody voluntarily put themselves into such a situation?
Because some of us like coffee and may even appreciate some advice that could keep us happily flying without having to keep looking over our shoulders for an official with a citation pad.

we've all heard about "speed traps"
the purpose of this thread is to identify "drone traps"

Yes I have been warned by CAA (NZ) ...my own fault,,,,,tryed to make a point about extremely low aircrafts in this area which there was or I would have done nothing,,also want to make it clear I did not launch my drone as they say I did in letter,,I was goin to,,,dosen't mean I did ,,I was ready to fly to get picture and height of this buzzard if it come back ,I wasn't goin to fly next to the plane and knock on the window,,well this remark got me right in it..recieved another letter saying no more action would be taken,, ,,just shows even when you right,your wrong and cant play with the big boys and girls

There I admit I been in trouble and brought it all on myself
Screenshot_20220313-131506_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TIA
You sound like a lawyer looking to go after deep pockets…JMHO

Imagine if the passenger airline pilots flew with as much disregard for rules and regulations and safety as some drone pilots seem to think they have a right to. In my opinion, I can eithr be part of the solution or, part of the problem. I prefer to be part of the solution. That way, if something goes wrong I know it wasn't due to my own carelessness or disregard for the safety of others.

Imagine if the passenger airline pilots flew with as much disregard for rules and regulations and safety as some drone pilots seem to think they have a right to. In my opinion, I can eithr be part of the solution or, part of the problem. I prefer to be part of the solution. That way, if something goes wrong I know it wasn't due to my own carelessness or disregard for the safety of others.
I’ve seen with my own eyes blatant disregard by fixed wing folks.
We all make mistakes. Been that way for some time.

this thread prompted by other thread with link to local FL hobbyist restrictions;
some listed fines, e.g., $200 - $400
what's true for FL is NOT JUST true for FL, but for other US states?!
some municipalities have reputation for issuing speeding tickets to boost coffers;
so am guessing some also "love" issuing hobbyist drone fines-tickets;
let's bloody expose them, this is one way...

if one takes road trip across US with a dozen unscripted stops a day to take aerial photos,
& one is following all the obvious FAA rules, is one going to spend hours a day to try
finding local authority's approval -- a local bureaucrat that may NOT know???
We have enough trouble reaching proper municipal employees in our own locales
when it comes to drones or any other issues!!!
What is the other thread you refer to? You did not include a link to it.

An “opportunity” that I would politely decline. Why would anybody voluntarily put themselves into such a situation?
Because if you decline, we tell FSDO, and additional measures are usually taken.

It's never a good idea to ignore the FAA. Ask PhillyMike.

TIA
What are your specifics...
By your nqueswtion it seems that you were fined.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers