Post Crash Not Able to Start Motors

Do you think there is much drone work for certified pilots ?

• yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
The title is a bit ambiguous so the detail is coming now. Hi everyone. I crashed after trying to do my first manual flip - I couldnt get it to go right over and even flicking to GPS she couldnt correct from 20m high initially prolly 10 m is asking a bit much...

Take note Phantoms probably not the best tool to practise new moves with. It's really challenging to fly full manual !
b2ap3_large_phantom-2-crash-1.JPG

So the battery came out broke a prop and the frame was a bit bent and a gimbal arm. - the shafts of the motors now sit evenly after removing the top.

(q1 what is that in the top part of the case with a connector - its shielded away from the electronics with a grey layer).

I also noticed a small white interim plastic piece that would normally accept a connector - I cannot find any other clue as to where this came from. I may try removing more interior to discover what this is. Obviously it seems that its a massive clue.

The only clear break in the elecronics side is a 2 pin cable to the SMB on the main PCB. I tried holding that in place temporary with finger pressure one end appears to go to the battery area so culd this be a failsafe indicator or state of battery kind of thing. This doesnt look like it is related to that white connector piece I spoke of earlier.

I took the gimbal off and straightened that to my eye - I might like to try that as is before dismantle and trying to get it flat with tools. I think it should be ok.

I did my tests with the gimbal unplugged - is this why my telemetry data is not appearing. I get what looks like the usual screen on my black pearl but the values are all 0 though power flicks to 11 odd v very quickly and then dissapears - I do seem to get data for the horizon accurately.

So q2 what is the SMB connector and is there a repair shop that can help. Any electrician may be able to solder it back even myself I guess but its so tiny in there.

q3 : I could just perhaps buy a new PCB - would it be interesting to upgrade to p3 hardware ?

I will add photos as I can. Thanks for any help on getting back in the air.

Last edited:
Ok I discovered the SMB is the smart battery connector and it seems to block the phantom operation. And probably want to get this working. I will try to solder myself and this appears to be a weakness of the design as many suffer this plug breaking off.

I plugged into p2 software and USB and got the NOT Intelligent Battery error as also confirming this - just holding the connector in place doesnt seem to work so the connection may mean a new board entirely.

Will report back with my findings.

The electronics under the grey shielding is the GPS Antenna and module. As far as the other components photos will help as there are several connectors.
And by the way.. Phantoms are not made to do flips and aerobatics, they are for photos and video with smooth control. Seems this is an expensive lesson in that so no more needs to be said. Get some photos and the users here will try to help. Normally if the motors will not start its due to damaged or broken GPS, ESC or main board.

Reactions: billp26 and landed
Thank you for your reply - "Phantoms are not made to do flips and aerobatics" of course they are not but they are capable.
I feel very naughty !

And for ref the white connector I found rattling inside is the EXP slot..

Hello
Without pictures, we cannot help much!
But
Question #1
That is your GPS MODULE, you'll first need to remove the GPS MODULE, to see if ceramic antenna on top is cracked or broken? Remove sticky shielding, and screws to inspect!

Next
We will need to see pics of the connector, and boards!

Once all broken/damaged components are fixed or replaced, you'll want to run a complete calibration, in PC assistant! Remote, and advanced IMU, as well as a fresh compass calibration, before first flight!

Potential problems:
GPS/cracked
Wires/connections broken
Bad/damaged esc's ( up to 4 )
Bad/damaged motors ( up to 4 )
Damaged compass
Bad/damaged main board
Bad/damaged receiver board
Bad/damaged battery terminals
Or com port cable /connector
( the 2 little pins in battery compartment )
I'm not saying all this stuff is damaged, only possibly damaged, SCRUTINIZE EVERYTHING! From the smallest connections to solder joints, look CLOSELY at everything!
You'll need to fix or replace ANYTHING that is damaged or broken, BEFORE you attempt to fly!

I could not fully understand your post, but sounds like your batter com port connection is broken! Without that working you will never get it to start, until you fix that port!
Lastly
The shell, if it is bent too bad or broken or cracked, it won't fly correctly! You may need to replace that as well?

Please post pics of you can!
It may be something simple, or a complete rebuild?

J Dot

Let us know?

Reactions: landed
And by the way.. Phantoms are not made to do flips and aerobatics, they are for photos and video with smooth control. Seems this is an expensive lesson in that so no more needs to be said.
The phantom dose do flips and rolls quite well . Manual mode is a great way to fly just flying if your filming then gps is the way to go .
Op best to learn manual first then try the tricks at a better height like 80m . Like J Dot said get some picks up for better help.

Ok I discovered the SMB is the smart battery connector and it seems to block the phantom operation. And probably want to get this working. I will try to solder myself and this appears to be a weakness of the design as many suffer this plug breaking off.

I plugged into p2 software and USB and got the NOT Intelligent Battery error as also confirming this - just holding the connector in place doesnt seem to work so the connection may mean a new board entirely.

Will report back with my findings.

There are two things that will not allow the motors to spin up the 2 spring loaded info pins not making contact with the battery and the GPS plug not plugged into the socket.

The electronics under the grey shielding is the GPS Antenna and module. As far as the other components photos will help as there are several connectors.
And by the way.. Phantoms are not made to do flips and aerobatics, they are for photos and video with smooth control. Seems this is an expensive lesson in that so no more needs to be said. Get some photos and the users here will try to help. Normally if the motors will not start its due to damaged or broken GPS, ESC or main board.

Where did you get the idea that the P2 was only designed for photos/video and not to preform aerobatics.

Here is the port SMB and EXP - the adapter was missing from here. I am going to attempt to solder the SMB connection again but I don't think its going to hold much of a chance.so a 40 quid board it may be.
b2ap3_thumbnail_phantom-2-crash-2.JPG

The compass is also not damaged thanks J Dot for that tip.

Yeah,
Looks like the com port is the issue here! I did see somewhere, a guy has same problem, trying to remember how he fixed it?
I BELIEVE, he was unable to resolder the housing on, so he soldered wires directly to main board!
He did fix it, but I just can't remember 100%!

Also
If you need a new connector housing:
8378C817-0E10-4941-95CF-FDCD12F16EEA_zpszhbmagxz.jpg

I circled the part number for you!
(Added: this part is from ( digikey ))
Let us know how it goes?

Your friend
J Dot

Here is the port SMB and EXP - the adapter was missing from here. I am going to attempt to solder the SMB connection again but I don't think its going to hold much of a chance.so a 40 quid board it may be.
b2ap3_thumbnail_phantom-2-crash-2.JPG

The compass is also not damaged thanks J Dot for that tip.

What are you going to solder it to as the pad came off with the connector which looks like the brown wire. That may also be a double sided board which means you'll be wasting or time trying to repair it. A new board cost $59.00.

Ok it was way to small in there to get anything soldered so a new PCB it is.
I took the opportunity to see if there was a way to convert my p2 to a p3 but I see the new optical position cameras for a start mean its much more to do...not worth it for me.
What I might like to do though is get the drone so it can do autonomous flight. I will ask in a separate thread what I need to add for that as I understand it is a module. But for now think getting the PCB is the way to go. Thank you all for your help.

Reactions: billp26
Hi jason
You may be right here is as close up as i can see
Untitled
But it looks like there is some stuff there to solder to ? Not sure if i know what you mean by pad.

Ok it was way to small in there to get anything soldered so a new PCB it is.
I took the opportunity to see if there was a way to convert my p2 to a p3 but I see the new optical position cameras for a start mean its much more to do...not worth it for me.
What I might like to do though is get the drone so it can do autonomous flight. I will ask in a separate thread what I need to add for that as I understand it is a module. But for now think getting the PCB is the way to go. Thank you all for your help.

One of the SMB socket doesn't have a copper pad to solder back to the board and that board may also have a double sided copper trace on the bottom side of the board which you cannot see. I circled the missing pad.
24178807015_e935df1966_c.jpg

Thanks for the clarity. I see this is missing but tried to solder to the bit a bit further north. I got a spur of solder on it but then couldnt get the next done - have ordered a PCB now its the best route in all. Thanks again. I have learned a lot about my p2 with the whole exercse.

It was really hard to get the motors soldered on but I did it onto the new PCB and after carefully labelling as I removed the old the new one went on without confusion. The only thing not working was the more damaged arms LED - and I had to get used to having a single red light while flying. Well today 4th flight in that has miraculously started to work :)
Thanks to you all for input. I hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.